If you were going to sell and/or trade this car in...

What would you say it's value would be:

1998 Mustang Cobra Convertible 71.4k miles White on white

Mods: Black and tan interior with two tone interior panels Tilt headrests White painted mirrors Pop out cup holder in console Functional brake cooling vents Steeda Tri Ax Shifter with carbon fiber shift knob Steeda cromolly (if I spelled it wrong, shoot me) subframes, welded Steeda cromolly strut tower brace (painted to match the valve covers) FMS 3.73 gears FMS aluminum drive shaft Summit drive shaft harness SVO rear axel harness

18x9 chrome Cobra wheels by American Racing with Kuhmos all round. Two Tonneau covers one full - one factory Spare taillights - stock 98 style Spare faceplate for the stereo Spare Mach 460 stereo and CD player units Clear corner lights Two sets of floor mats One set is getting a little worn, but still cleans up well) Documentation up the wazoo including the SVT certificate for build number 1600 and the sales catalog from the dealership for the 1998 Mustang K&N filter Ravin mufflers

Within the last year and a half New brakes

Within the last year New starter New battery (changed while throwing parts at a problem that was a lesson in what NOT to do. It was a broken wire, not bad parts)

Faults: It has a ding in the D/S fender, $460 repair, I still have not found a shop I will trust to do it.

I keep thinking I have forgotten something. OH! YEA! A brand new white Ford Convertible op, still in the box.

(still think I forgot something!)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I saw that you also included the mileage. What a concept! ;-)

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

Smarter than the average blonde!

[...]

: >

: >

: >

: >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
SVTKate

Whenever you sell something, you need to know the market you're in. And, obviously, your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Nationally, the market varies widely.

On the other hand, I've also quickly located a '99 white Cobra convertible,

72K miles, within 18 miles of home, listed at far less.

Just like with houses, there are some things you do to a car that actually adds value, some things detract from the value, and most do not affect the value at all. It is what it is - a 1998 Cobra convertible. In the best possible world, you'd hook a fish who absolutely had to have a '98 in white, and would be willing to pay extra for the privilege.

Your own impression of the car's worth is inflated. (We all do this.) So, it either takes a great selling job to get your target price, or be prepared to come down. Sometimes significantly. You need to know what other similar cars are being sold in your area (say, within 500 miles), what your competition is.

For your car, and knowing that for the same ballpark I can get into a '99 or possibly 2000 model, I would start the bidding at $16,500.

dwight (What do I know? I drive a $2,000 car.)

Reply to
dwight

: > 1998 Mustang Cobra Convertible : > 71.4k miles : > White on white : : Whenever you sell something, you need to know the market you're in. And, : obviously, your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have a pretty good understanding, yes. I am not one to suffer delusions on a regular basis.

: Nationally, the market varies widely. :

: On the other hand, I've also quickly located a '99 white Cobra convertible, : 72K miles, within 18 miles of home, listed at far less.

I have looked around a little on the web and found them from $7800 to $15k depending on options, mileage and so on.

: Just like with houses, there are some things you do to a car that actually : adds value, some things detract from the value, and most do not affect the : value at all. It is what it is - a 1998 Cobra convertible. In the best : possible world, you'd hook a fish who absolutely had to have a '98 in white, : and would be willing to pay extra for the privilege.

Now THAT might be wishing a wee bit!

: : Your own impression of the car's worth is inflated. (We all do this.)

Maybe not as much as you think. I have kept an eye on the KBB value of it, so I think I have a handle on the basics. BUT I know that KBB is not what they go by, and not sure hwere to start for a fair price that

So, it : either takes a great selling job to get your target price, or be prepared to : come down. Sometimes significantly. You need to know what other similar cars : are being sold in your area (say, within 500 miles), what your competition : is. : : For your car, and knowing that for the same ballpark I can get into a '99 or : possibly 2000 model, I would start the bidding at $16,500.

DANG! That's quite a bit higher than I would have started at.

: : dwight : (What do I know? I drive a $2,000 car.)

I'll wager, allot more than I do.

: :

Reply to
SVTKate

(Based upon the theory that you can always negotiate down, but rarely up.)

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I also have a 98 Cobra. Mine is a bone stock black coupe with 69K miles. I would expect to get about $12K for it but I would try for maybe $14K.

Keep in mind you can't go to the dealer and buy a new one. If the 2007 is built it won't be available for a year or more. It's also possible that buyers will bid the prices way over MSRP, making it impractical. Even at MSRP it's gonna be a lot of money for a Mustang.

So consider the buyer's alternative - your car. A new Cobra MIGHT be available in a year at at least $40K, or they can buy your cool car for $15K (or whatever) today.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Thank you Mort. You brought up some things I certainly had not considered.

I have been thinking of trading it in, but I may go ahead and put it in the paper after all. Of course, then I will have to put up with lookey-loos but I'm tough, I can handle that part of it.

: : On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:27:56 GMT, "SVTKate" : wrote: : : >What would you say it's value would be: : >

[...]

:
Reply to
SVTKate