Car lift recommendations

I am trying to decide whether to buy a "drive on" four post car lift or a "arm type" two post car lift. Main use will be in further doing restoration to my 1948 & 1952 Pontiacs, along with normal lube and brake work on my three drivers.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

It's darn hard to do brake work on a "drive on" lift. I've got an asymetrical two post lift with an overhead connection. IMO four post lifts are for 2 story car storage or wheel alignment shops. Two posters are also less expensive and easier to install, but you will need at least a 12 foot high ceiling. I bought mine used on e-bay (a local sale, I picked it up) and it was well worth the money. And your friends will love you.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

two posters allow unfettered access to the whole underside. i definitely prefer them. the drive-ons are always in the way. good luck, sammm

Reply to
sammmm

"Huw" wrote

Ha ha...you must be joking! I've been working under these hoists for 15 years. I can lift a one ton dually crew cab and work on it no problem. Now if you are careless, that's "your" problem, not the eqiupment. In that case, I would question your "professionalism". I haven't seen anyone drop a vehicle off of a Rotary lift. I'm sure it's possible, but anything is possible if you lack common sense and don't have your wits about you. Land Cruisers and Land Rovers are dinky toys compared with what we regularly lift up on these hoists.

These are the "default" hoist in the majority of the dealerships in our city of 1 million people. It makes no difference what the underbody construction is, these hoists can easily handle anything from Geo Metro, up to a one ton dually. There is even larger units that can lift a one dually with a full welding rig in the back. The only vehicles that we use our drive-on hoist for is for very high vehicle (truck with a camper on it) or the very large panel style vans.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai