Caravan Speedometr NG?

1994 Grand Caravan. 3.3Liter. 4Speed/OD Automatic. Newly installed rebuilt tranny. Seems to function but there is no speedo/odometer activity. Is the speed sensor the fitting at the front of the tranny just above the selenoid-pack and between the fluid barbs ? Or is it the sensor at the rear of the tranny on the bell-housing?

Will operating w/o speed sensed damage the tranny ( of course performance will be poor ) like , destroy the TC or Front Pump ?

Any advice welcome and appreciated. Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

"Larry Starr" wrote in news:9ychb.36798$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Is the '94 Grand Caravan still front-wheel drive, like my '88 Plymouth Voyager was? On my Voyager, the speedo sensor was on the right side, just before the output shaft to the right wheel. Due to a poor-quality halfshaft installed by a tire shop, the speedometer sensor gear kept failing. A new gear would work correctly for only about 30 miles, then the speedometer would read about 10 percent slow for the next 300 miles or so, and get gradually worse until it would fail completely after 1000-2000 miles. I took the van back to the tire shop and they put a new halfshaft on again, but it was still the same poor-quality part, and I still had the problems. Eventually I took it to another mechanic, and with a new good right haflshaft, the speedometer continued to work correctly. I am thinking that the transmission output shaft bearings on that side were probably worn as well, contributing to the problem, but I sold the van before attempting to fix that.

Mine didn't seem to be damaged. It just had poor performance due to not ever shifting into overdrive. Even when the speedometer only read 10% too slow, it wouldn't shift into overdrive. I guess the transmission control computer sensed the variation in speed sensor signal and threw it out as a bad signal.

-Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Narvaes