Carburettors vs fuel injection

When was the last production car with a carburettor made?

I have a 1984 VW with a carb and I was just looking at a 1986 Firebird with one but when did they all go to fuel injection?

Just curious.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

I'm pretty sure GM's 307 was made as late as 1991 model year. I was always a big fan of that motor until the gas prices got where they are today.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

Subaru *Justy?* Same engine as the three-cylinder 93 Geo Metro.

Reply to
B Squareman

"Ryan Underwood" wrote

Still a fan of carberators? These coffin size, rough idle 3-cylinder carberator Geo Metros are pretty economical babies when it comes to running on fuel vapors. Bad part is that this motor struggles to go over 100k miles.

Someone is claiming 100 Mpg on this Metro.

B Squareman

Some stuff was out there in the early 80's but GM, Ford & Chrysler all went entirely F.I. by about 87 or 88. See a few 88 chevy trucks with carbs, but not many. Don't know about the foreign dudes.

Reply to
pater

The Toyota Corolla had a carb at least as late as 1991.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Keep in mind that most of the later carbuereter vehicles where actually electronic hybrids where a computer monitored exhaust oxygen with an O2 sensor and modified the mixture by tinkering with either fuel flow in the carb jets or by bleeding extra air into the manifold.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

In what market? The answer's different depending on if you mean the US market, the Canadian market, the UK market, the European Common market, Australia, Japan, Russia, China, South America...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Good point.

I meant the US market.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Or at least as late as 1989.

Toyota MDT in MO

P.S. 1990 for the Turdcel VV carb.

Reply to
Comboverfish

My 1989 Ford Festiva with a 1.3 Mazda engine has a feedback carburettor. Half way through the model year they switched to fuel injection.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Adding the 89 Honda Accord LX and DX to the list of carb models.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I have heard it was the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Crabtree

My sister had a 1991 Canadian model Corolla with a carburetor, which is how I know that. Perhaps the US had got rid of carbs before Canada.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Right. In the US, Toyota changed Corollas to EFI in 1990 while keeping that bodystyle through 1992. It retained basically the same engine, the 4A-F, while the new EFI version became the 4A-FE.

I was thinking US market when I replied as I am a stupid, lazy American and can think no other way...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish