catalytic converter

I would like to thank all those astute people that responded to my post regarding my catalytic (shown below). However, I would still like
to save this baby if possible. (Car won't pass inspection.) Nobody suggested an additive; does that mean there is none?
Larry
Earlier Post-----
Due to a malfunction, cylinder 3 was not firing in my auto and dumping raw fuel in the cylinder . The problem was fixed, but now the check engine light is continuously showing that the catalytic converter is defective. Does any one know of an additive that might reverse this problem? Cats are expensive (:= ]."

I know of nothing I would recommend for this.

If you ran it for a long time with a misfiring cylinder it is likely you cooked the catalytic converter to the point of destruction. Asking for a chemical to repair this is about the same as asking for a chemical to poor over a burned out house that will restore it to new. Not likely.
Does you car fail an actual tailpipe emissions test (the one where they measue things like CO and unburned hydrocarbons) or does it fail becasue the check engine light is on (the sort of test where they just read the OBD2 port)? If it is failing the test becaue of the check engine light, have you actually had the codes checked? It is possible (but not likely) that you cooked the after cat O2 sensor and that is why you are failing the OBD2 catalyst efficiency test. A good shop would know this and be able to diagnose the problem correctly.
Ed
On 06/21/2011 09:11 PM, iconlarry wrote:

did you check or replace the O₂ sensors? if not, have you access to a scope? you'll need one to check their reaction time to see if they're healthy. [they may pass self-test, but still be causing problems.]
if you've done the sensors and they're good, but emissions are bad, the cat is cooked - you can't unburn burnt toast.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

ccess to a

re

The O2 is good (Unfortunately?)
On 06/22/2011 08:44 AM, iconlarry wrote:

sounds like you're talking about the smog test output figures saying O₂ is good, but that's not what i'm talking about. it's rare for O₂ to be bad. cat failure is usually NOₓ - what were your full test figures?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

No magic potion here, sorry.
Get a "universal fit" cat from any muffler place, probably less than $300. That's about your cheapest fix. Or move to a state that doesn't check the OBD-II during the smog check.
--
Tegger