Ceramic vs OEM Compound brake pad friction material comparison

1990 Q45 brake light went on; added fluid; light went out; removed wheels anyway; checked pads; both front & rear pucks have about 3/16 inch to 1/8 inch left; seems time to replace pads.

Q1: Would you replace pads at 1/8 inch? (i.e., right-side brake-wear-sensor light is off.)

At

site, only two material choices available:-CERAMIC (front only) or-OEM COMPOUND (whatever that is) for front/rear:Specifically just these three so-called 'Premium pads':-Akebono ProAct (material = ceramic) $58/axle (front only)-Satisfied Pro (material = ceramic) $63/axle (front only)-Akebono ProPerform (material = OEM) $38/front $36/rear Q2: What was the original compound for a 1990 Q45 (i.e., should I replace with Ceramic or use OEM noting that I have no problem with brake fade and that stopping is more a function of tire traction once you apply 120 pounds of force anyway).

Educated suggestions?

Reply to
Q45 Owner

Whenever I shop for brake pads I always ask for "soft" pads -- my reasoning behind this is that even though softer pads are likely to wear out quicker than harder ones, they will not put as much wear on the rotor as harder pads.

Replacing the pads is both cheaper and simpler than replacing the rotors. I'd tend to think the OEM pads are softer than the ceramic ones.

Reply to
aurgathor

Look around for Mintex pads, or if you want to spend upwards of 80 bucks an axle, go to the EBC greenstuff jobs - these are current choice for the nissan guys in scca that I know.

Andrew

Q45 Owner wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Reply to
Rex B

I found the info about Raybestos's Quiet Stop brake pad on Pepboys.com,

and at Sears.com. This ceramic formulation brake pad is a most expensive compared to semi-metalic. It says it will be last longer, quieter, safer, ... but not sure last longer means the rotor or disc will be worn out quicker? Do you have any suggestion? Thanks.

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy

I have not used them, as I prefer the Super Stop. Friends that have used them said they seemed to be very rotor-friendly. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B