Axel Boot strap....

I have a 91 Plymouth Acclaim (3.0) with 137000 miles on it. I just replaced the driver's side axel with an Advance (auto store) replacement. All went fine except after I had the wheels aligned I noticed that the axel was missing the outer boot metal strap, the one closest to the wheel.

I used a plastic tie hoping that would prevent the boot from leaking its grease. Now when I make a turn I can hear, I could be wrong, a loud clunk like noise that sounds like boot is slipping off. I checked the boot and it seems fine. I think it might slip on and off during the turns.

My comfort level with this is zero. I can not find pliers or a metal strap (the strap must be low level or it will interfere when spinning) anywhere that will fit.

I know I can replace the axel at Advance with no problem but I am not looking forward to all the (it's a pain with the strut) work and then have another wheel alignment done.

I do own a boot pliers that will squeeze the "ears" together but like I said, it can get in the way. Does anyone know a place that sells the correct size metal straps and pliers?

Thanks Hank from PA

Reply to
Hank

Hank wrote in article ...

We had them on the shelf when I managed a NAPA parts store...

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

The zip tie will work fine. If you rechecked it & its still in place, you have to look elsewhere for the real problem behind the noise you are hearing. There is absolutly no way that an outer boot can pop itself back on once it's come off the big end. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter

Thanks.... The boot is still in place and I will look at the sway bar and its attachments.

Hank from PA

Reply to
Hank

The sway bar and its bushings look fine, wonder if I should replace them anyway....

Hank from Pa...

Reply to
Hank

Maybe it's the axel on the other side. It could have been bad too and you just never heard it over the noisy one you replaced. "Squeeky wheel gets the grease" kind of thing.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith