checking coolant by specific gravity?

I had a used engine fitted and the greasemonkey's invoice includes $100 for radiator coolant. But I think he has used the cheapest classic car coolant (no glycol) maybe even water with some green colouring in it. So if ethlyne glycol has SG 1.1 then a 33% mix should test as SG 1.033 Is this a valid check?

Reply to
pedro1492

Depends on temperature. See chart at this website:

Paul in Houston TX

all auto parts stores sell inexpensive coolant testers that will tell you what temperature you are good for. $4 and up.

Reply to
Retired

If you use the little syphon with the coloured floating balls, make sure you tap it to knock the air bubbles off them. I once had a false reading that lead to "freeze plugs" popping out.

Reply to
synthius2002