Chevy 3.4 liter engine harmonic balancer question

2008 Chevy Equinox 3.4 L.

The POS harmonic balancer has fallen apart into 2 pieces at 45,000 miles. Got the part, have an electric impact wrench that might remove the center bolt, if not, I will use the ole long bar bump the stater technique to get it lose.

Question - it needs to be torqued to 92 ft pounds, how can I do this w/ o the engine/crankshaft moving? I have a brand serpentine belt, but I doubt that will keep the crank from rotating if I try to torque it after I install the belt.

TIA.

Reply to
Ron

use one of these:

torque always drops a bit with sloppy joints and tools, so if you use a worn socket or a deep drive socket, the torque should drop sufficiently. if you're still concerned and want to drop it a tad more, add a 3" normal extension to the driver end.

Reply to
jim beam

You could always use one of those flywheel rotating tools

Reply to
m6onz5a

I'd suggest that you need not purchase anything. If no other access point exists or is readily reached (e.g., an inspection plate or mag pickup port), pull the starter and hold the ring gear on the flywheel/flex plate with a large, flat blade screw- driver. Another old trick is to pull a spark plug, insert enough rope into a cylinder on its compression stroke to restrict travel of the piston.

Reply to
None

I've done the rope trick in the past.. You have to be careful that pieces of the rope don't get stuck in the cylinder.

Reply to
m6onz5a

OK, I got it off today but haven't put it back on yet. I need a harmonic balancer installer that I can get at Autozone (they loan out tools) maybe they have one of those also. Thanks.

Reply to
Ron

Rope trick sounds interesting.

Reply to
Ron

that'll work too. make sure you're on the compression stroke, not exhaust - you could bend a valve if the latter.

Reply to
jim beam

I've done the rope trick in the past.. You have to be careful that pieces of the rope don't get stuck in the cylinder. |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Properly done (be aware of the inserted rope length), any small remnants should be easily expelled by a couple revolutions of the engine before the spark plug is re-installed.

Reply to
None