Chrysler refuses recall request

could not be worse than a crown vic or pinto i suppose..

bob

Reply to
bob

Hell the de Havilland DH 106 Comet was allowed to fly despite a massive structural defect resulting in catastrophic damage, so what's a little fuel tank defect.

Reply to
.

I'm not sure what the "defect" is. Yes a Cherokee's gas tank is between the bumper and rear axle as it is on many vehicles. But I don't see a whole lot of sharp pointy objects in the area to actually puncture the tank and why only 1993-up vehicles when the Cherokee was made for ages before that?

In any case I don't feel unsafe driving mine...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You wouldn't have seen the issue with the plane either.

Nor would you have felt unsafe driving a vehicle with a non collapsible steering column.

Reply to
.

And we all know that "feeling" safe = safe... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

or to put it another way, ignorance is bliss...

Reply to
jim beam

recalls have become both political and economic warfare tools. frod or g.m. get cut huge amounts of slack on recalls - remember the wheels falling off frods, and their not calling vehicles in for months citing "low risk"? or their ignition modules cooking as a life limitation decision, but no recall until the class action lawsuit actually prevailed after years of courtroom drama?

yet if it's a foreign-owned vehicle, they're expected to recall for having the wrong color shipping wax on the paint before dealer prep. the whole system stinks.

Reply to
jim beam

I actually have owned at least four of those that I can recall :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In the grand scheme of things, the odds of me being rear ended hard enough to have something actually move the metal enough to affect the gas tank, AND it be punctured, AND there being an ignition source that causes a big fireball before I can exit the vehicle are small enough that I might as well worry about being abducted by aliens and anally probed.

This seems reminiscent of the same concerns re: the 73-up Chevy trucks (of which both my grandfather and my father owned one, dad still does and drives it regularly) and Crown Vics...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

i had occurred to me that you might be so inclined.

Reply to
jim beam

Oh. I did not know those were the only circumstances of fatal/serious injury crashes.

Operating a motor vehicle is dangerous; make and model is, of course, irrelevant. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It's the only circumstances in which the specific hazard outlined by this recall would be pertinent.

So's stepping into the shower, what's your point? With a little care it is "relatively" safe in the grand scheme of things.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Or to use actual statistics on this particular issue, if you feel it will happen to you playing lotteries might be a good idea too.

Reply to
Brent

If it's big three vehicle the recall is on the network news casts even if it's not even a big deal. It has to be a huge deal or an CBS audi witch hunt before the media covers it for a foreign make.

And of course the media has done more fictional fear stories on domestic made vehicles than foreign ones.

Reply to
Brent

Which, of course, is irrelevant.

Well, a new point would be the manners in which people manage to hurt themselves performing innocuous tasks only punctuates the propensity of the human being to err.

The original point was emotions are a shitty way to evaluate anything, and I'll bet you can still miss both points...

"Relatively" it's the most dangerous thing people do.

"For the first time since 1981 (when data was first available), motor vehicle traffic crashes were not among the top 10 causes of death in the United States.

"In 2009, while ranked 11th overall, motor vehicle traffic crashes were ranked 8th among males and 14th among females as a cause of death."

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

What /I/ know is that by far the largest component of being safe in a motor vehicle is driving well.

If one never has a collision, then the gas tank's location is moot.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Please show us figures comparing the danger per hour as compared to other activities...

Reply to
Alan Baker

The rub is what one considers "driving" well.

Are you among those who believe they can dodge out of the way of an impending rear-end collision...? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Sorry, but that's a specious definition of "most dangerous" from a relative perspective.

Lots of people die or are injured on the roads...

...because people spend a lot of time on the roads.

The latest figures for the US that I've found show that in 2011, vehicle-miles traveled were 2.93 trillion. And deaths per 100 million vehicle miles were 1.1.

To make the figure as unfavourable as possible, we'll assume that all vehicles had a single passenger (minimizing passenger-miles) and that all travel was at 60mph (minimizing) time.

With those assumptions the death rate per million person-hours is:

1.1 * 1,000,000 / (1 * (100,000,000/60)

= 0.66 deaths per million person-hours

That's 0.66 deaths per 114 person-YEARS of driving.

Reply to
Alan Baker

You can borrow my Google:

-----