CVT And Kick Down Switch ?

Hello,

Have never had a car with a CVT.

Do all new CVT cars "still" have a Kick Down switch ? (Thinking of a 2013 Subaru Outback in particular)

Would this be used for getting a bit more speed quickly when trying to merge into a highway flow from a, e.g., a dead stop ?

Or,...?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

yes. it's that pedal on the floor - the one on the right.

the transmission is computer controlled. it fully optimizes ratio relative to pedal position and speed. if you push the pedal beyond that required for maintaining current speed, i.e. you want to accelerate of climb a hill, it will change ratio to facilitate more power, torque, etc.

personally, i suggest you just drive the car and not over-think this stuff. if you're asking because you want to do your homework, the only thing you really need to know is that rpm and speed [should] have no relation like they do in fixed ratio transmissions. iow, learn to ignore engine sound - simply press the pedal.

Reply to
jim beam

I doubt they literally have a switch, much more likely they just use the throttle position sensor. But regardless, the faster you want to accelerate with a CVT the farther you need to push the gas pedal. If you push it all the way to the floor it will rev up to a fairly high engine rpm and the CVT will keep the engine at that speed while the vehicle itself goes faster and faster. The CVT vehicle I drove for a couple days did not seem to do what would feel like a "kickdown" when you stomped it, it just quickly ramped up the engine speed to it's sweet spot and held it there.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

me thinks they should have some sort of laid back(eco sux) - normal - sport - sport sharp mode, but I doubt that is part of the FHI program for the outback cause the majority of the clientele would not typically care in the short breaks between the soporific meds

the ultimate throttle recalibration switch for the outback is the turbo engine (available even in the states last time I checked)

Reply to
AD