Denso TT spark plugs.

I am going to do a tune up on my 1983 Dodge van, 318 V8.New spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter, a spray can of Gumout through the carburetor, change the oil and oil filter, lube the front end and lube fittings on the U Joints.There is some factory smog control on the van that I am not familiar with, stuff that isn't on my 1978 Dodge van.What should I look out for/to do/ about that smog control stuff on my 1983 Dodge van? Are the Denso TT (Twin Tip) spark plugs any good? I saw a tv commercial about them on Horsepower TV on the SPKE tv channel.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Don't worry about it, but DO check the hoses carefully for damages and cracks. Almost everything that goes wrong with emission control systems of that era has to do with vacuum leaks when the rubber parts get old and crusty.

I don't think so. I have liked the cheap Denso plugs in some Japanese cars, but I think all of the fancy cathode shapes are just a waste of money at best. Same goes for the "splitfire" plugs.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

My father tried ordinary U-groove Densos in his 318 Dodge Dart when it was almost 20 years old, but they seemed like they were too cold. Back then, Denso had a guarantee to buy whatever plugs you wanted if theirs didn't work out, so they paid for Champions. The Densos were only about 13 cents apiece, after a couple of rebates.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

My 1983 Dodge van, a label/decal under the front hood says Spark Plugs

035 IN.Gap RN11Y 64 PR.Years ago, I put a new set of Autolite AP 64 spark plugs in my 1978 Dodge van.I found they work better than a new set of Champion spark plugs I had in there before.Forget those Splitfire spark plugs, been there, tried that.I once put a new set of Splitfires in my 1978 Dodge van.Withing about half an hour one of them quit working.About two days later, another one of those Splitfires quit working.I put the old set of Champions back in there untill I bought a set of Autolite plugs.I think I will buy a new set of Autolite plugs for my 1983 Dodge van. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

Not a bad choice. I'm not a fan of "gimmick" spark plugs; Champions are probably fine but do have a tendency to die if ever fouled. I've heard that Bosch's QC ain't what it used to be from several VW fans. I've had good luck with all three of Champion, Bosch and Autolite however, but hear the least negative comments about Autolite. I don't like "platinum" anything in older cars, as they are even worse than regular Champions - if they ever foul, they're dead (and can't be cleaned.) I'm also not sold on any "gimmick" plugs like U-groove, Splitfire, etc. Only "unusual" plugs that were ever factory recommended for any vehicle that I'm aware of are the multi-electrode Bosch plugs used in some high-performance German cars.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would go with the Autolite as well. The old Chrysler engines seem to do well with them.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

What I understand from electrical theory is that once you send a high voltage pulse to the sparkplug, it will choose the easiest path, and ONLY the easiest path from the electrode to the cathode. IOW, all that 'dual arc' stuff that the Splitfire folks claim is physically impossible. You'll always get only one arc.

But I'm a career pessimist, so take that into consideration.

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

Do you have problems with regular plugs? Unless you are using the van for something unusual (not normal duty) regular spark plugs work fine. Spark plugs just ignite the mixture. As long as they do that (i.e, the car is not missing) than fancy plugs will not do anything for you. If you are racing, and burn or foul plugs, that is something else. If you still have smog control stuff on it, I assume you are not racing.

Reply to
Don Stauffer