diesel fuel

dear Sirs

i am a phd student from Durham university , i am doing a phd in computer simulation of disel fuel with an oil company sponsor.

i wonder if some one can help me to find some website or books i can read for understand exactly what is the diesel is made of? i know mixture of hydrocarbons and aromatic, paraffin

also additive like EVA, does anyone know what the chimical structure of EVA.

I hope someone can help me.

regards

Reply to
sampay

EVA means ethylene/vinylacetate copolymer. It is used as a pour point depressant/ wax inhibitor. It can vary in mol weight, as well as in ratio of vinyl acetate to ethylene.

There are other additives as well in diesel, such as cetane number improvers, etc.

There are many different organic hydrocarbons in diesel. You should be able to find some typical analyses with a web search.

Reply to
<HLS

You are a "phd" student and can not spell "disel" and can not even perform a basic search on the internet or at your university's library? Good luck on that "phd".

Reply to
ottertailfamily

I felt the same way at first, but noticed his name. He may have a reason to struggle with English. (Heck, a lot of Englishmen and Americans are not very competent at spelling either.)

I am a bit dismayed that he claims to be a Ph.D. student, but has no concept of research.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm dismayed but not surprised. I see this all the time these days. Students, even college students, only want the diploma, they don't necessarily want to LEARN anything. No one actually WRITES their own term papers anymore, they buy them off internet. However, most such students do become pretty proficient on the net. Research means finding the best term paper for sale.

I find the net handy, but to me it is only an ADJUNT to a good print library. The stuff that guy is looking for is to be found much more in BOOKS than web documents.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

how do you know that i doint have concept of research? i did a lot of research but also the group are usefull, i would like to know your qualification and where are you working!!! before doing coment think, regards

Reply to
sampay

I dont think that now student want only the diploma, i am italian and i had a PhD positions in one of the best university in UK and for obtain the PhD at the end you have to work very hard, and no one write the papers or the report for you. you first write and then your supervisor correct your mistake, before speaking on the PhD student in this way, i think you have to know better the situations.

regards-

Reply to
sampay

Please make the effort to communicate in a civil manner, using conventional language and grammar.

Don't rely on your supervisor to do the proof-reading. They should put your paper through the shredder if it's written like your Usenet postings. Experienced supervisors may well perceive your lack of investment in trying to communicate as a failure; perhaps even as a deliberate distraction from a lack of salient content.

Science and Engineering aren't just about the physical world, they are about communicating ideas.

If you make it hard for people to understand what you are writing, they will not make the effort to try to understand what you are saying. You've then not only wasted your time doing the research, but also the time and money of others.

Remember that while people are reading your work, that they should be "using your brain". That is essential to convey ideas.

Should you not be proficient in English, and reading reams of english-language literature doesn't percolate through your thick skull, then get a tutor.

It is far easier to write intelligibly in English than to speak it.

Make the effort and others are much more likely to make an effort to contribute.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

That may be true for Europeans. I guess I should have qualified my comments, which are about American students. And certainly not ALL US students are that way, but there sure are enough that it looks like we'll have to be importing engineers and scientists to an even greater degree than we do now. Science and engineering enrollment of US students in colleges is way down. Students are opting for easier degrees. They all want to start their careers as managers :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Well, I can tell you from experience that managers make more money than engineers...

nate

Reply to
N8N

That is true. One of my English colleagues told me, laughing but not in jest, that to get a Masters degree in the UK, you have to pay £15 and try to stay alive for two years.

You can easily get your PhD there in two years as well.

Having a Ph. D. here in the USA has long been a questionable situation. They are the last to get a position in industry because they are expensive and because the openings for 'professionals' are few, they are the first to get fired when hard times come (op. cit, 'expensive').

We hired several in the business group where I used to work. One was productive. The others liked to posture, and appear academic, study interesting bits of chemistry which might be suitable for publishing, presentations, but were useless for our primary goal...developing products and processes to generate sales and profits... Perhaps this was considered a right wing capitalist ideology., or a sellout of academia.

M.Ba's were some of our worst mistakes. Many of these turkeys came fresh from Harvard School of Business, had never worked a day in their little lives, had no personal or management skills, and were given the keys to the kingdom. Disasters!

Reply to
<HLS