Escort uneven idle

I have a -88 Escort wich in idle runs up and down in rpm with a constant frequency. It also stalls when driving, sometimes often, sometimes not so often. I've written here before, and I've checked the things in the answers I got then (coil, fuelfilter, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires). Sometimes I hear a "sucking" sound when I turn the motor off, but there is still vacuum in the main cylinder. I can't find any other vacuum leakage either (okular check).

Please help, I'm running out of ideas!

PS. Please explain as detailed as possible, my english is'nt what it should be.

Reply to
Marcus M

Hey Marcus,

I had an '89 Escort with exactly the same problem. I took it two mechanics and replaced everygthing you have.

Didn't solve it.

The source of the problem was a cracked vacuum line between some sort of black plastic apparatus on the passenger side strut tower.

I discovered it got worse when I changed the struts. That piece had to be removed to get the front passenger side strut out.

I would start checking vacuum lines. Cheap and easy to replace.

Good Luck,

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Hi Roy!

What are "the struts"? As I mentioned, my english could be better when it comes to auto parts... :-) I just bougt a can of startgas. I'll use it to check for vacuum leaks. Thanks for the advice!

/Marcus

Reply to
Marcus M

um not to be mean but you should realy goto a shop answering questions isnt a problem but to not know what a strut is?I think youll cause more problems than youll solve if you do it your self take you car to a shop and tell them to run a smoke test through your vacuum system and they will find your leak it costs about 30.00 and save you alot of headache

Reply to
Steve Cook

No offence taken, but I specificaly wrote that my english isnt that good when it comes to auto parts. If I wrote to you in swedish, you probably wouldnt know any parts at all. I'm not that bad with engines.

I would still like an explanation.

/Marcus

Reply to
Marcus M

The strut is what we Americans commonly refer to when describing the "damper", "dampener" or "shock absorber".

The coil spring supporting the car wraps around it on an Escort, at least on the front suspension. The rear suspension uses separate springs and dampeners.

The black plastic 'box' has several vacuum lines running to and from it to various locations on the engine.

Looking from the front with the hood open it would be on the left side of the engine compartment approximately over the center of the passenger side front tire.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Roy Shroyer