Ford's new hybrids go 47 mph on electric power alone

The last time I looked up the dealer price of a Pruis battery pack it was near $4,000 at bit less than the ordinal price of $5,000. Batteries are the Achilles heel of ALL todays hybrids. At some point one will need to spend thousands to replace the battery pack. That does not bode well for resale value, at some point down the road as well for the buyer.

Personally I would not buy one of today's hybrids because the premium one needs to pay, to drive one home, will buy ALL of ones gasoline for a similar sized and equipped conventionally powered car for two or three years.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually you would need to tow one hellava large trailer with enough solar panels to power a very small car for a just a few miles, all the while hoping it did not get cloudy.

The solar panels I had installed on my home in Key West to (help) heat the hot water cost nearly $29,000 LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

1% snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net...
Reply to
cavedweller

Good grief, Mike, how much was it costing you to heat your water? What happened to your logic expressed earlier above about not buying a hybrid because it's more economic to buy gasoline for a non-hybrid. Seems for $29K you could buy an awful lot of electricity to heat water.

Reply to
cavedweller

Tell me about it. Previously I used NG, not electricity, and 29K would buy MORE than ALL of the NG I could use in my lifetime, I'm 82. I have tons of money but only one wife, keeping her happy was the reason. My wife is one of those environuts that thinks we can save the world. ;)

Good grief, Mike, how much was it costing you to heat your water? What happened to your logic expressed earlier above about not buying a hybrid because it's more economic to buy gasoline for a non-hybrid. Seems for $29K you could buy an awful lot of electricity to heat water.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thank you for that, Mike. I understand fully now. Hope I make it to

82....11 to go. All the best.
Reply to
cavedweller

Take a look at

- price is $2,070.94. I can't imagine the labor is more than another $500.

Back before the gasoline price spike, Toyota was selling Prius' pretty cheap. My SO's parents bought one for about the same as a similarly equipped Camry (they actually planned to buy the Camry, but bought the Prius when the salesman gave them the price). I know it is smaller inside, but it is not a lot smaller. They rave about the car all the time. When gas was $4 they were looking awfulyl smart. With gas back down to around $2, I'd no so much - but still they average well over

40 mpg. Only time will tell if the battery cost comes back to bite them. I think not.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White