WD40 on electric windows?

Hi all,

My electric windows are slowing down so I think I'll grease the runners. Is it ok to use WD40? I think the main consideration is whether it's likely to get into anywhere electrical and short it out of it conducts electricity; does it, does anyone know? (Conduct electricity, that is).

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

WD-40 is not a lubricant, and isn't the right stuff for your window tracks. There's an article in the miata.net Garage on fixing slow windows. IIRC, you'll want white lithium grease for the main track, and silicone for the felt chanel at the quarter window.

Another cause of slow windows is dirty switch contacts.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, although WD-40 IS a lubricant, it's not a great one, or a long lasting one.

it doesn't conduct electricity, in fact one of it's better uses is to dry out wet electrical contacts! (great for a wet distributor)

It's also good when used to clean parts. I think if you used it to clean the old grease from the tracks and then use some white-lithium grease spray you'd be in good shape. WD-40 alone wouldn't last long.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Here,

the small can of Lithium spray grease works great. Got it at Chief.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

Just an FYI.

The WD-40 plant it near me in San Diego and there was an article in our paper about it recently. It is a lubricant only coincidentally. It was designed to be a water dispersant and the name WD-40 is for "Water dispersant 40th formulation."

Now if I could only convince my wife that it's not a cure-all for EVERYTHING that goes wrong with ANY mechanical device.

Reply to
Dave Smith