frozen battery

I work in a local parts shop (in Ontario). We've had several batteries returned for warranty. They were frozen. I understand that the specific gravity of the electrolyte is low. What causes this? punishing the battery by draining power? adding water? any other reasons? tia

Reply to
neon

A discharged battery is much more likely to freeze because of the effect on the specific gravity of the electrolyte.

Reply to
Robert Hancock