"Frozen" plastic hubcap lock

Does anybody have a good way to get one of those plastic things that GM used to lock wheel covers to the wheels off? It's the kind that screws on to a shaft and is covered by a 3" clip on cover. The thing is on so tight the key is stripping it off (not too bad yet, that's why I'm asking).

There isn't enough clearence to get a pair of channel locks around it, I tried grapping it with a pair of linesman's pliers, still no-go. I'm tempted to drill right through the middle and be done with the damned thing...

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike O'Malley

Sounds like the kind of situation to buy a cheap pair of locking pliers and grind the outside of the jaws down till you CAN get it to fit where the channel locks won't fit now.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Thanks for the tip; I had tried using thin nosed vise-grips, they just twisted off. Ended up getting it by drilling out the keyed portion of the tool and nut, then sticking a punch through both.

Whoever went and made these things out of PLASTIC needs to be drug out to the street and beat with a tire iron. I'm going to replace all mine with a washer and nut, or just go without. I've never had a problem with people stealing wheel covers, and I don't think they'd be interested in a 13 year old Buick.

Thanks again, Mike O'Malley

Reply to
Mike O'Malley