Gas tank repair.

Looks like I need to do another one on the bottom of the gas tank on my

1978 Dodge van.I noticed a tiny drip drip drip.I jacked up the rear end and removed the gas filter from the gas line under there and I used a stainless steel box I have to catch the gas and then pour the gas into some five gallon cans.Tomorrow I will use some emery cloth to clean around the leaky area and I will patch the leak with fiberglass cloth pieces and two part epoxy resin for fiberglass for a lasting repair.Hey, that gas is Expensive nowadays and getting more expensive by the minute! Gas will probaally get up to over $4.50 per gallon,,, just in time for July 4th. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

i thought you were going to use a boat gas tank. what ever happened to that idea?

Reply to
boxing

I am in the process of hauling off a lot of scrap iron things I have collected over many years.Right now my old van is loaded with metal that I need to take to the scrap iron yard this morning.I have a five gallon plastic boat gas tank that has a float gage built into the gas cap.Right now, I am trying to get by with the van's factory gas tank long enough to get all of my scrap iron hauled off.Then I am going to fix up the boat gas tank. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

there was a guy who jumped out of an airplane and his parachute didn't open. As he was falling down he noticed a guy coming up real fast. So he asked him. Do you know anything about parachutes. The guy said no, do you know anything about gas tank repair. That wasn't you chu chu was it?

Reply to
boxing

I have used fiberglass epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth to repair my van's gas tank about four or five times before over the years.Sometimes a new leak pops up.There are no leaks where I have repaired them before.Parachutes? I don't know much about parachutes. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Please just replace the tank.

Reply to
John S.

There are thieves going around and stealing gas nowadays.I will replace my van's gas tank sooner or later, with a plastic five gallon boat tank.When I do that, I can lift the boat tank out of my van and store the tank in my storage shed.I have gotten to where I bring my van battery inside of my house when I am not useing my van.Those thieves around here will steal anything. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If he thinks his life is worth less than a few gallons of gas, who are we to argue?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Dude,

How far can your van go on just 5 gallons of gas???

Reply to
SLB
1978 Dodge van, 318 engine, automatic shift transmission.I have no idea of how many miles per gallon it gets.The longest distance trips I make anymore with my van is about seven miles (fourteen miles, round trip) to a veterinary supply store for Pro Pac dog food and other supplies for my little doggy.And three miles round trip to the food store.About two gallons of gas would probally be enough for my van.I have an old junk yard stainless steel box that will be perfect to put the gas tank in, I can build a wooden box and bolt the box to the floor of my van.That gas tank wont be flying around.No more so than gas tanks on motorcycles and motor scooters are flying around. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin