GM Loose serpentine belt

I have a 1989 GMC Safari with 4.3L engine. My serpentine belt runs from my tensioner to my alternator, down to power steering pump, up to water pump, down to crankshaft, up to A/C compressor. Van was making noise. I noticed that the tensioner is at maximum deflection (straight down). I removed the belt and inspected that no pulleys were loose. Belt is in good shape. I have heard the accessory bracket can crack, but I don't see any cracks. It seems that the most likely part to have moved is the power steering pump. Could that bracket have bent? Any thoughts? I'm stumped.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Minchey

Wrong belt. (to long) Belt installed wrong. Tensioner bad.

Reply to
dahpater

Reply to
Barry Minchey

If everything is fine, your belt was/is to long.

Reply to
dahpater

i agreen get a different belt

Reply to
2001jettavr6

I have seen some aftermarket belts, which are supposed to be exact replacements, be too long or too short. And, not all aftermarket belts may be of equal quality to the OEM. Maybe your belt has stretched?

Last, I had a heck of a problem with belts on a GM Fiero after a factory recall. Seems the dealership mechanics cut some corners, did not reassemble the pulley and tensioning system correctly after the engine work was completed. It was a continuous problem with belt slippage, etc, until I got it up on a rack, assessed the problems which the mechanics had caused, and refitted and adjusted everything correctly.

Reply to
hls

Check to see that all the components spun by the drive belt are tightened down.

Reply to
John S.