Good books on engine building & performance?

Subject says it all, I'm looking for some good books on engine theory, performance and building. Basically, my knowledge of automobiles is limited to the easier things to fix (brakes, u-joints, bearings, water, etc), and I'd like to learn more about engine theory including just what makes this camshaft better than that, what piston-to-valve clearance is and how to measure, fuel delivery, etc.

Basically just wanting to move up a notch and don't really have anyone to teach me. I know nothing is a substitute for experience, but it's hard to feel comfortable jumping into a head swap without some rudimentary knowledge of valves, etc.

I'm mostly talking domestic V-8's here. I have a Ford 5.0L (Fox-body Mustang).

Thanks All!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Local library, if they have a good auto section. My library has lots of hands on books for building engines and things like that. Almost any of them would go over some of the things you mentioned.

Reply to
August

Check out your local library. Mine has quite a few books on the subject. And what they don't have, they can borrow from other libraries in just a couple of days.

Reply to
 Paul

|Subject says it all, I'm looking for some good books on engine theory, |performance and building. Basically, my knowledge of automobiles is |limited to the easier things to fix (brakes, u-joints, bearings, |water, etc), and I'd like to learn more about engine theory including |just what makes this camshaft better than that, what piston-to-valve |clearance is and how to measure, fuel delivery, etc. | |Basically just wanting to move up a notch and don't really have anyone |to teach me. I know nothing is a substitute for experience, but it's |hard to feel comfortable jumping into a head swap without some |rudimentary knowledge of valves, etc. | |I'm mostly talking domestic V-8's here. I have a Ford 5.0L (Fox-body |Mustang). | |Thanks All! | |Jeff

Rex in Fort Worth