GPS devices.

Watching, Track Me if You Can, on the Discovery channel.The guy said those auto GPS devices have microphones in them and can be turned on at
will.He also said tires have RFID chips in them that are unique for your vehicle. cuhulin
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Those chipd are not in the tires but in the valve stems or attached to the rim. They are part of the TPIS AKA the senders for your tire pressure monitoring system.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
On Dec 13, 11:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

In both cases some do, but as of right now most don't.

I dont think the police or the "government (for want of a better word)" have the resources to do anything with general devices of this type.
Yes, I have pressure sensors mounted inside each of my wheels, but it would do no one any good to try to "hack" these low level devices. Surely, much more could be encoded in such a signal, just as EZ Tags transmit low level information but to what purpose? Big Brother is in total chaos now!!
As far as a microphone in the GPS systems, mine has a microphone via which I can speak to "Debbie in the Dash".. For anyone to eavesdrop on me would require a real lack of a life, and adequate monitoring stations, two way GPS capability, etc..
Worry about something real...like the billions in pork the dam Democrats are trying to load into this year end legislation and shove down your throat.
On 12/15/10 8:47 AM, hls wrote:

Believe me, the dam Republicans are just as bad if not worse...

I dont challenge that at all, friend.. If we ran them all off, maybe someday we could find someone responible to elect..
I don't have a GPS gadget, I don't want one either, I always know where I am.I don't have any gadgets on my wheels. I only thought that tv program was interesting, nothing more. cuhulin
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:08:08 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

I said that, too, but my current job has me going from East Cupcake to West Overshoe, and it's nice to have a gentle female voice telling me where to go (and not the "usual" place, either!)
I had GPS in my phone, but it was $10 for the 'app' and $10 a month. So I got a TomTom on eBay for $35 and now Jane tells me, "turn right, and take the motorway" in her British accent.
I'm waiting for when I miss a turn and "Jane" says, "Didn't I tell you to turn back there?!?! HONESTLY, you NEVER listen to me! Oh, why do I even BOTHER?!?!?!"
I wanted another mounting kit, and they're $29, so for another $38 I got another complete GPS system, a bit better but basically the same thing, and labeled them "JANE1" and "JANE, TOO"
A few years ago I read an article about a woman in Ireland, she was driving and following directions from her GPS.That GPS lead her way out into the middle of no where at the end of the road near a railroad track. cuhulin
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:38:24 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

I have a TomTom. I love it. The guy who works with me on Thurs and Fri has a Garmin.
We had to go to the same place one week. My TomTom sent me up a "short cut" which was a well-maintained dirt road I was able to traverse at 40MPH, no problem.
He had to go to the same area on Friday, and his Garmin sent him up...a LOGGING ROAD!
I have heard of someone being arrested for driving on RR tracks. When the cops asked him what the hell he was doing, he told them "My GPS said to!"
Yeah, you have to have some Common Sense, too...

That is very important...You cant key in Broadmore Avenue if you are going to Broadmoor Road. Helps to be sure you are operating inside your zone map too ;>)
Ours has worked fabulously. But there IS a learning curve. We just got a note from Toyota that ours has a software update that is available. My wife threw away the notice but she said she thought it costs about $200.

Also be aware that a GPS unit is NOT a substitute for a map and NOT a substitute for sitting down and reading the map before you go somewhere.
The people who get into trouble with GPS systems aren't really getting into trouble with GPS, they are getting into trouble because they have no map and no idea where they are. The GPS is just helping. --scott

n message news:7awOo.10585

zone

e just got a

My wife

That's the downside to GPS units built into cars. They are much more expensive to update firmware and map files than portable devices like those from Garmin, etc.
I have a big old brown paper sack here full of paper city maps of cities I have been to before and some cities I have never been to before.
I prefer paper maps and paper road atlas, such as Rand McNally.I have some foreign city maps too and two Stadplan foreign road atlases.Old paper city maps won't keep you updated about new streets though.I suppose GPS would, or updated GPS. cuhulin
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:37:58 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

Yeah, but you don't get "Jane" in her British accent telling you to "take the motorway"...
That's the downside to GPS units built into cars. They are much more expensive to update firmware and map files than portable devices like those from Garmin, etc. *********** Perhaps a bit more expensive to upgrade, but they have advantages as well. After having a built-in (in both our current cars), I wouldnt want to be limitted to a portable.
wrote in message news:5fbbb96b-09b9-42ab-81b2-

Curious--What are the advantages? It seems to me that the limitations apply to the built-in units not the portable ones. Aside from being able to take it with you---2nd cars. rental cars, pre-planning at home, being able to modify while moving, easier upgrades and updates--- where does the portables fall down in comparison to the built-ins?? Not mentioning the cost either--$2000-3000 vs $100-250. MLD

-
want

apply

take

les

Agreed, *plus* with a portable e.g. Garmin you can do stuff like import POI databases etc. - I have one for traffic cameras since MD and DC are traffic camera hellholes and I occasionally have to go there. Now it'd be nice to have something integrated into the dashboard for a more finished look, but really, that doesn't outweigh all the good arguments in favor of a portable.
At some point smart phones are going to get good enough that you won't even need a separate GPS unit, just a windshield bracket and car charger for your phone. they're almost there now.
nate

We dont take our GPS systems with us and dont want to. So that is not a disadvantage to us.
We like the large and well lighted color display of the built-in. A definite advantage for us "old folks"
We are able to make substantial adjustments to the built-ins as well while on the move. In fact, there are more adjustments than I routinely use or even care to learn about. The main feature that the builtin has that I care absolutely nothing about is the voice control. Maybe someday if I get really bored......
We dont really worry about theft, while we have had friends and relatives who made the mistake of leaving their portable in the car and came back to find it gone.
The portables I have seen are no faster nor more accurate than our built-ins, and we can essentially use ours in place of a road map. And we have been all across the USA using them successfully in this manner.
Last, when I bought an XM Roadie, I vowed I would not likely have another portable electronic item mounted on or near my dash, and that has carried forward with me.
wrote in message news:5fbbb96b-09b9-42ab-81b2-

can essentially use ours in place of a road map And we have been all

Your case for the "built-in" actually tips the scale towards the portable. "The large and well lighted color display of the built-in" ---- Quite a premium for that relatively small advantage--$2000 vs $200. "can essentially use ours in place of a road map"---Doesn't the portable provide that same function? "We don't really worry about theft"----Neither do I. I use the bean bag and throw it in the trunk when I don't need the unit. Theft happens because of carelessness. "The portables I have seen are no faster nor more accurate than our built-ins"---Then why pay Thousands more for the built-in?
Obviously, it's your choice. You don't have to justify that choice to anyone--but to me it's a no brainer. MLD