hand brakes

I have a 2004 Hyundai Accent which has a hand-brake which you pull up with your right hand. My regular floor brake has some problems which the dealer's mechanic hasn't been able to fix yet. My question is this: If my floor brake fails for any reason do I pull up my hand- brake slowly or hard and fast? Thank you.

Reply to
abx

The situation you're in would dictate how you would use the emergency brake. Best advice would be to practice a few times on an empty road and at different speeds to see how thw brake reacts. When using the brake you will want to press the release button as you are using it , so as not to lock the handle in any position. Holding the button in while you pull it up will allow you to "pump" the handle; applying the brake as needed. I wouldnt rely on that for any period of time. Either get the brakes fixed ASAP or find another mechanic who can fix them.

Reply to
MCL

Uhm... If your brakes aren't working right, YOU DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!!

Reply to
Calab

If you pull it up hard and quick you end up with a car merrily spinning in circles down the road. Pull it up slowly and keep the button pushed in so you can quickly release it should the tires start to lock. Be aware that your true stopping power is in the front brakes.. this method will stop the car but it is going to take many times longer than using your normal brake. It would be wise to not drive the car until the brakes have been fixed.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I would highly recommend you find an empty parking lot and try it. You hold the button in and bring it up slow because you don't want to lock up the rear wheels. Locking the rear wheels will make you do 360's really fast.

You might have to pulse the handle to get a grab, depending on the shape of the cables.

What are your brake symptoms? Maybe someone here has seen it before.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

The problem with my brakes is that every time I put my foot on the brake to stop the car there is a clicking sound coming from the rear. And the mechanic can't figure it out.

Reply to
abx

Then you have some crappy mechanics!

Reply to
Calab

Rocks in the hubcaps?

Seriously, my truck made a horrible noise a couple summers ago when I was driving really slowly, and had just messed with the brakes. Of course, I was in the middle of nowhere and it sounded like something rattling around in the brake drum. I was getting ready to panic, and then remembered my 2 year old had been putting rocks in the holes in the hubcap...

Ray

Reply to
Ray

You need a better mechanic. What have they done so far?

Reply to
Steve W.