Hold my beer....

Say it ain't so: cars.com: "Preview braking uses the system's radar to determine if your G35 is closing quickly on an obstacle and "pre-loads" the brake assist so the slightest brake-pedal pressure will trigger a full-on panic stop. Preview braking works even when cruise control is off."

W T F ?

Reply to
WWS

Its so. And woe to the innocent drivers who end up rear-ending cars equipped with this system, because its almost impossible to prove that the vehicle that was rear-ended was actually the one at fault.

Reply to
Steve

I know what you mean... Around here they normally say that if you hit someone from behind, you are by definition at fault.

We have the laser unit on our car, which will help avoid rearend collisions but it also has some irritating issues. I seldom use it.

Reply to
HLS

No matter how carefully we drive, there are always some dummies out there.Sometimes I turn on my scanner radio.The cops are pulling them over. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sorry, but unless the G35 driver pulls in front of you suddenly and significantly shortens your own stopping distance, it really is your fault if you rear-end someone. If you leave enough space between yourself and the car in front of you and are paying attention, it won't be a problem. For those folks who tailgate while dialing their cell phone, any car can stop "too fast" for them.

How many drivers ever think to give motorcyles more lead because they can stop in about half the distance of most cars? I'll bet they still stop faster than the G35!

Reply to
tom_murphy

Trains take about a mile or more to stop.There is a Railroad Track a mile and a half North (South is always Best) of doggy's couch. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yeah, oil tanker ships are not only hard to stop, but hard to turn. I think there have been collisions in history where everyone KNEW the collision was going to happen maybe a half hour ahead of time and it was already too late to prevent it.

Reply to
tom_murphy

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant what happens when the G-35 driver's brakes are "pre-loaded" because he gets close to the car ahead of him, and even though the car in front of him doesn't stop he taps his brakes to back off and the system goes into "full-on panic stop" mode, and some poor sucker behind the G35 flattens it? That would be tantamount to me doing a full panic stop in traffic for no reason whatsoever, but it would still be less than perfectly simple for the driver that hit me to prove that I was at fault, and not him.

Yeah, but they don't leave as big of a mark on your hood, and the blood washes right off.

Reply to
Steve

Driving around at night time (day time too) you have to be carefull about Deer (and Cows/whatever) crossing the roads.A few years ago, A Deer walked into one of the Wal Mart stores near me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you are following close enough that you don't have time to react to the panic stop in front of you, then you are TOO CLOSE and it IS your fault.

Reply to
Calab

quoted text -

I agree Calab, And I don't tailgate. I see cars at 70-80 mph only 3 feet from the car in front of them. People are idiots and anytime somebody tailgates they are not driving their car, they are letting the person in front of them drive their car. I rant about this on a regular basis and it does not seem to have any effect so I will try to curb my tongue.

I recently talked to a man who said he had driven some car, I don't recall what he said it was, that when put on cruise control would automatically keep distance from the car in front. All the driver had to do was steer. It did this with some kind of radar. I tried to get more info but of course this person could not answer my questions. I wanted to know how close the car tailed another at say 75 mph and all he said was "the computer stays at a distance that allows it to stop. Should the car in front do so." I guess he was dozing as he steered.

Might have been the G35 do you think?

It's a prelimenary, view of the future. When all the cars will drive themselves and not only will the gasoline, internal combustion engine be outlawed but having a car on the road that you can drive will be against the law.

The world must be made safe for the computers! ;- (

disston

Reply to
disston

Except in the scenario I described.

Even without the interference of automatic brakes, you WILL be cited if you stomp your brakes without cause and get yourself rear-ended (presuming there are witnesses) its the one case where the lead driver will get the ticket, but it takes witnesses other than the driver who did the rear-ending. In my scenario, the G35 would be completely at fault, the problem is the driver behind has no defense apart from finding witnesses.

Reply to
Steve

Our Avalon has this feature... It is a laser cruise control. You have two ranges, on this car, of distance which you can choose.

If you get too close, first you get a warning.. If you get too close still, the car begins to brake gently. It deactivates during the rain automatically.

It can be irritating at times.. If you are behind a slow moving car, it will automatically lower your speed, and you may not even realize you are moving slower. You can override with the accelerator to pass such tortoises.

Reply to
HLS

Some auto companies are developing cars that drive themselves.About a week ago I read somewhere (I forget where) that Boeing has the go ahead to build flying autos. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Dont hold your breath on the flying cars. Regulations have all but killed the US small plane industry.

Flying cars present an almost insurmountable exercise in economics, engineering, and licensing.

Reply to
HLS