honda accord hose kit

Hello,

a few months ago, when I had gone to the dealer for some maitenance they had recommended to change the hoses for my accord 2001 (60k miles). at that time, they had suggested to get a hose kit that contains 9 hoses or so.

Other than the 2 radiator hoses, where are the other 7 hoses located and their function?

I believe most people recommend to just change the upper/lower radiator hoses. Can someone list any other "critical" hoses that should be changed ?

Thank you!

Reply to
lora

Depends on what the kit has in it. Upper and lower radiator, heater hoses, water pump interconnects, power steering hoses, vacuum hoses, emission hoses.

I can think of 15 under the hood of my Blazer. And those are the common stuff.

Reply to
Steve W.

lora wrote in news:aeacec23-0828-49fa-a53c- snipped-for-privacy@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

For a 2001, I'd be replacing just the two rad hoses. They are the largest, and are the ones that normally burst catastrophically.

The other hoses would be the heater hoses, and a whole bunch of skinny little bypass hoses and such. Do you have a V6 or a 4?

And you should only be using genuine Honda blue coolant.

Reply to
Tegger

thank you. I have a v4 engine. So, besides the 2 radiator hoses, the others not needed at this time. The car is 8 1/2 yrs old and has 65k miles on it.

and why > lora wrote in news:aeacec23-0828-49fa-a53c-

Reply to
lora

Not in an Accord. Its got either an inline (I4) or a V6. V4 engines are quite rare in automobiles (and in general, actually).

Reply to
Steve

lora wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com:

You have an inline-4, not a V4.

Not unless...

1) The hoses are showing cracks, or signs of the ends having been overtightened. The tiny hoses going to the throttle body and the thermostat housing almost never break unless abused. 2) The coolant is severely old and has attacked the insides of the hoses.

If the factory clamps have been replaced with aftermarket worm-types, it's likely that somebody has overtightened the hoses. If the factory spring- type clamps are still present, chances are good that the hose ends are fine.

Honda coolant is made specifically for the metals and polymers that Honda uses in its engines. Others may, or may not, be completely compatible.

Reply to
Tegger

She probably means 4-valve head. That's a lot of valves!

Reply to
dsi1

dsi1 wrote in news:E0fln.22573$wr5.3199 @newsfe22.iad:

No, she means an inline-4. A lot of people are not sure what the "V" means, so they tack it in front of any cylinder count. I'm waiting for somebody to eventually say his lawnmower has a "V1"...

And speaking of multi-valve heads, check out /this/ puppy!

Reply to
Tegger

Well, if it's a *riding* lawnmower, and you're planning on taking it on the freeway (not in Virginia or the District of Columbia however) it's not a bad idea.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have a Briggs & Stratton (H) horizontally opposed twin cylinders 14 horsepower horizontal crank shaft aircooled engine with 12 V (volts) electric start.My two walk behind lawn mowers each have a V (vertical shaft Briggs & Stratton engine. I mowed my yard this afternoon.That Creeping Phlox stuff is taking over my yard. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maserati. My Maserati does one eighty fivvvve,,,, I lost my license,,, now I do not drivvvvve,,,,, cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think you're right. For some reason, I thought she was talking about a

16 valve Toyota engine. My mistake.

What a monster that would be and I don't mean that in a positive way. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Probably a V-Tec

Reply to
Steve Austin

My dear wife, many years ago while I was working on her car, came out and said, "So how many V's is this engine?"

I love her anyway... ;-)

Reply to
Steve

I was looking at a civic about 12 years ago with the VTEC I4. The salesman told me the variable timing, electronic control system created the same HP as a super charger. I asked how adjusting timing and valves created boost and got the deer in the headlights look.

Reply to
genius

Steve wrote in news:IMGdnXP44OW58wvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

You mean she actually ASKED a question? My wife couldn't give a shit one way or the other. To her, a car is the most boring thing in the world, plus engines are ugly and icky-looking.

However, she /does/ do a very good job of listening and watching and reporting to me any unusual behavior the car exhibits, which I've admonished her to do. She caught the blown head gasket by reporting the gurgling noise from the heater core, and she caught the dry speedo cable by reporting the noise it made in very cold weather.

Reply to
Tegger