How do I Connect my Dwell Meter

I'm doing a tune up on my '62 Chrysler and want to check the dwell. I have a Craftsman analog Engine Analyzer with a dwell meter function. It has a positive and negative cable with clamp connectors and a set of wires hooked up to a smal metal plate with a couple of notches in it. I don't have the instructions anymore. Can anyone tell me how to connect it and use the dwell function? Thanks.

DNK

Reply to
DNK

Positive lead to battery positive, negative lead to coil negative (the primary wire that goes to the distributor).

Reply to
.

I have the same analyzer. The 2 larger clamps, Red to positive side of the battery and the black to negative. The smaller clamp/clip (I think it's green) goes to the negative side of the coil. The small metal plate connector is for testing amps.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb

Don't know whether that car has positive or negative ground. Lets assume it is negative. The negative lead goes to ground. The positive lead goes to the low or negative terminal of the coil or to the low tension lead on the distributor (two ends of same wire).

If that is a positive ground (by 1962 I doubt it) then reverse the polarity of the above.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Reply to
Shep

Take the red wire and clamp it onto the positive battery post or terminal. Take the black wire and clamp it onto the negative battery post or terminal. Take the green wire and clamp it onto the negative (-) terminal of the ignition coil. Make sure all wires are out of the way of any moving belts or accessories. Start the engine and read the dwell.

Reply to
Professional_Fleet_mechanic

PFM is correct for that type of meter. If you have a cheapie with only

2 wires like mine, the red lead goes to the coil as stated and the black lead goes to a good ground. FWIW YMMV
Reply to
NickySantoro