bad turn signal

I have a 1991 Geo Prizm. When I hit my left turn signal, I hear a loud screech that does not stop until I either turn the turn signal off or hold it down hard. When all I hear is the screeching noise, neither the front nor the rear turn signal lights blink at all. However, when I hold the left turn signal down hard, the front and rear turn signal lights work just fine. There is no problem at all with the right turn signal. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
billmabe

Bad switch yielding partial contact. If you look closely--may involve removing mast-jacket cover to see enough of the switch--you may see an opening that binds slightly against the ts-stem as it moves toward the left-position. This opening can often be filed bigger to give relief and allow switch to go the extra distance required to engage the electrical contacts more firmly. HTH & good luck, s

Reply to
sdlomi2