How to tell year from engine serial #?

Hey Guys,

My dad is currently working on a 1979 Ford F-150, 4x4 pickup. Well, after the truck was bought and he started to work on it he found out that the engine is not the original one that is supposed to be in it. He has it running great but, the problem he is having now is that everytime he buys an exaust manifold pipe, it won't fit. If you hook the one side up, it's about 3 inches too short on the other side. He has went through at least three different pipes and none of them will work. He's begining to think that this engine here is from an 80's truck.

Now, what he would like to know is, How can you tell the year of the engine by looking at the serial number? Here is the serial number, E3AE6015-BA1

I've looked online and did a search on here but, can't come up with much of anything.

Can you help!

Thanks!

Reply to
makarov

makarov wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

I found something that may help:

See the third post down, from "StuartB".

Looks like you have a 1983 engine.

Reply to
Tegger

The number you have posted is a Ford part #. It begins with an "E3" meaning it is a 1983 released part. The AE tell which vehicle line it was for. The 6015 is the base part number that would be the same for that part in a Ford no matter what vehicle. The -BA1 is a revision code from the original part design.

Hope this helps a little.

Reply to
lugnut