Ideas for a home alignment caster/camber wheel jig to lock to 14inch to 20 inch wheel rims

Asking for ideas from those who craft tools at home out of stock metal.
o Who don't just put a magnetic camber gauge on the rim or rotor
With a handful of vehicles coming due for routine caster, camber, and toe
checks, I'm thinking of building a simple wheel jig to make it easier to
lock the camber gauge FLAT onto variously sized wheel rims.
Perhaps a bit better than building this camber gauge tool at home?
not as sophisticated as this type of wheel jig:
with the addition of toe-plate functionality of this type:
by simply extending the horizontal arm, sort of like this guy did:
's what I'm thinking, by way of asking for design improvements.o It's two steel slats (or angle iron) and a few bolts onlyo The two slats are bolted together in an upside-down T shapeo The lower horizontal slat contains the two lower seating pinso The upper vertical slat holds the one upper seating pino The seating pins are simply bolts with a rubber cap for rim protectiono The upper vertical slat's pin hole is slotted for adjustmento The lower horizontal slat's holes are spaced for adjustment
Optionally, I can add an "extension" to both ends of the horizontal slat,
which then has to clear the bulge of the tire, which extends the horizontal
slat to the front and back of the tire, where there is a jig saw cut in the
end of each extension, to hole a tape measure firmly in a one-man operation
to measure to the centerline of the vehicle chassis from underneath.
Total components appear to be:
1. Two approximately 24" steel slats (steel for magnetic camber gauges)
2. Three rubber-capped 1/4-inch nut and bolts to act as the rim pins
3. One nut and bolt to bolt the T wheel jig together
And for the optional toe slats:
4. A one-foot pair of extensions, slotted by a jig saw on one end
5. Drilled and bolted to the horizontal slat on the other end
Any helpful suggestions from those of you who have build such tools?
o Total cost should be a couple of bucks I would think
(but haven't calculated yet as the design is the starting point)
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
I used to do this with a light and projection lens and mirrors.
Now with laser pointers, you should be able to do something really slick.
Reply to
makolber

Site Timeline Threads