Is it reasonable for a $200 tire mount /balance

I've always paid around $20 tops for a mount/balance from a local shop that uses the Hunter GSP 9700.

There is a company a buddy of mine recommended that he uses quite often - Euro-Tire out in Fairlawn, NJ. Asking price is $200 for a set of 4 wheels mount/balance. Man those are steep rates but I am a nut about have perfectly balance tires.

Anyone ever see rates these steep ;) Is it common of a *high-end* shop for rates as high as the one I was quote ?

Reply to
John Soto

$200. for a set of road tires mounted/balanced maybe, and $20/30 for just mount/balance is about right. Maybe this quote is for track tires. Road tires are only well balanced until the wear begins.

Reply to
pete selby

Well...that's acutally what these guys do. They do alignments for track cars - m3, local porsche club , etc.

The set $200 ( 18" winter wheels) is kinda steep. I'm thinking about trying these guys out but ...............it's a bit out of my normal $80-$90 mount/balance from my current tire guy.

Reply to
John Soto

I just replaced a tire on a standard steel rim (sometimes specialty rims can be more costly) at a local chain called Tire Kingdom. $6.99 for one tire mounted/balanced & a new rubber stem. Unless you're talking some kind of weird 3 piece rims or something, 50 bucks a pop seems awfully steep to me.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

It's on the high end, but nothing extraordinary. You can always go the Tire Rack website

and check the prices theyquote for their recommended installers in the same area.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Some performance tire mounters offer balancing at 90mph to 120mph, with both side-side and circumference balancing. Also checking and correction of the tire/wheel combination for being perfectly round. On a light car with lightweight forged wheels and performance tires this can make a big difference.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Sounds absurd to me. Unless you are having problems with vibration when you get your tires balanced at the $20 place you are just throwing money away paying more. With the computerized balancers ANY shop that follows the instructions and keeps their machines calibrated can do a perfectly fine job of balancing tires in a couple minutes per tire.

Reply to
AZGuy