Van is shaking after tire rotation and balance

Hello,

I had wheel balance and tire rotation done (rear wheels put on front). After that the staring wheel shakes till approximately 24MPH. After that it does not.

I'm wondering if something wrong with the wheels, i.e. have some bent etc.. or just bad wheel balance job. Or anything else?

Thanks,

Reply to
JM

Its possible that a rim in the rear, or a tire itself is bad and now put on the front you feel it in the steering wheel, also sounds like the vehicle wasn't road tested after the repairs

Reply to
maxpower

I had the same problem on both a Chevy truck and a Ford Taurus. The rims were not bent so that was not the cause. On the Ford, I brought the vehicle back to where they balance them (dealership). They put them back on the machine and they were still balanced. They suggested that I had a bad rim so I challenge this idea since the vehicle did not shake before I brought it to them to have all four wheels balanced and rotated along with other service work.

I swapped the tires back to where they originally were and they vehicle did not shake. I then talked to a tire manufacture representative and he stated that the tire may have been the culprit due to the belts shifting. He stated that the belts may have worn in and I was doing more harm rotating them then leaving them where they were. I told him that if that is the case then the tire must be crap because I rotated them at below 5000 miles. These were the original tires on the vehicle. The dealership then offered to rotate the tires again and replace one tire at a time until the problem was solved. They replaced two tires before solving the problem. Both of the replace tires went back to the manufacture for research. They never did tell me what they found but I have an idea the bonding between belts was failing.

The tires could be out of balance if they did do a poor job or if you have a belt problem. Try having the location where you had the tires balanced and rotated, rebalance the tires. If that does not work place tires back where they were before servicing to see if problem goes away.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

misalignment.

dynamically

Reply to
maxpower

I would not have a vehicle that the tires would not rotate.

that said I operated a company than had a goodly number of service vehicles both in town and long distance. We stopped rotating tires early on and found that the labor cost of rotating tires was *totally* wasted. (not counting the cost savings of down time while the job was being done)

| > Fronts = typically run 40,000 under good conditions | > Rear = 80,000 | >

| > Less if high speed or hard driving, improper inflation, etc.

Reply to
Not Me

So you never have the tires balanced after initial installation? Rotation is free if included in a balancing operation.

I find it hard to believe that it was totally wasted - key word being "totally". There is no question that useable tread life will be extended by rotation by somewhat evening out wear patterns across the tread width. If you were to say that you looked at savings of tread life by rotation and that it did not totally offset the costs involved, then you would have made a believable statement. But to say that the cost was *totally* wasted (implying that tread life was not at all extended by rotating) is not credible.

For the consumer whose shop gives free rotation and balancing (over the life of the tire) with tire purchase, the cost of rotation is free, and, assuming the tires will be periodically balanced anyway, you can't evcen say there is a down-time or waiting cost for rotation, as that is part of the necessary "balancing act"(rotation does not add any labor or waiting time to that - given that balancing will be done, rotation is free in every regard).

Bill Putney