Just a Question about power steering

I needed to do something about a power steering leak in a 2001 chrysler minivan.

I Put it on ramps in the garage and finally tracked the leak down to a cracked rubber hose (return I think since they did not have metal fittings on the ends) that went to a little cooler it seemed like on the bottom of the frame. Got some new hose and yanked enough things off the frame to be able to get two new ones I cut back on with hose clamps. It seems ok now.

But my question is - is that little thing really a cooler? It seemed like as it had fins, but it was awfully small, and for a PS pump?

Reply to
BSAKing

Oh - A funny anecdote

Yesterday it started gronking at me because it was out of fluid, and stuck between locations, I swung into a local Jiffy Lube along the way since I figured they would have some fluid to top it up. A girl in full uniform came swooshing out, took a look, and pronounced that this model took brake fluid in the power steering and was ready to trot off and get some to puit in it.

I suggested that anything was possible, but maybe she should just check her manual to be sure. She came back out without batting an eylash with some power steering fluid to top it up. Damn good thing I was on hand. lol.

Reply to
BSAKing

Yes!

I'd recommend you add a filter to the return line - you can use a fuel filter!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

Check chrysler.com to see if you are covered by a recall. My 03 Town & Country was recalled for the exact problem that you described. I just had it "fixed" last week.

Funny thing is that mine did not start leaking until the day after they replaced the PS return hose. Besides turning a potential leak into an actual leak, they also used an (obviously salvaged) screw clamp on one end of the hose and positioned it such the screw head is rubbing into the throttle cable. Now Chrysler says that I have to take it back to the same boneheads who botched the recall if I want them to pay for fixing it the right way.

Good luck, and do NOT go to Liberty Jeep for the repair.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I ran mine up on ramps and put on new hoses myself since it is 2001. At least I know who the bonehead is should the job be botched! lol. ;>)

I'll check the throttle cable clearance - thanks for the head's up.....

Reply to
BSAKing