Lawn Mowers and Energy Usage

Well, grass consumes carbon dioxide and outputs oxygen. But mowing the grass consumes oxygen and outputs carbon dioxide. And of course mowing the grass consumes fuel and outputs various air pollution.

So what's the most efficient way to mow the grass ?

First consider the engines. In general, an internal combustion engine gains efficiency with increased valve area over the displacement. So a twin-cylinder 500cc engine is likely more efficient than a single- cylinder 500cc engine. More likely, the buyer will find something like a twin-cylinder 660cc instead of a single-cylinder 590cc engine. But also the twin-cylinder engine will tend to be quieter than the single- cylinder engine.

Next is mowing width. And twin-blade riding lawn mowers can be found as small as 38" although a 42" will go through a small gate. And so does an 18 HP mower with a 42" mowing width use less fuel than a 10 HP mower with a 28" mowing width ?

Finally, there is a new type of transmission for riding lawn mowers. Well, a lawn mower runs wide-open because it has to cut the grass with the blades. And so a lawn mower changes speed by changing gearing and not by changing engine speed. The new hydrostatic transmissions vary the gearing with a hydraulic system instead of with mechanical gears or instead of with CVT belting. The result is that the mover can smoothly and effortlessly change speeds and easily switch between forward and reverse. Then mowing time is reduced as maneuvering is much easier. The hydrostatic transmission can be controlled by a lever or by foot pedals. A zero-turn riding lawn mower has a hydrostatic system for each rear wheel while a hydrostatic lawn tractor only needs one system for both rear wheels.

And so there is some amazing current technology for riding lawn mowers .

Reply to
PolicySpy

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Here you go.

Get some exercise.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

sheep

Reply to
Bill Ghrist

Not really.. A smaller moving mass is likely to be the most efficient when compared to a mower with a larger moving mass. (it may take you more time.. but you will save fuel/energy).

An electrically powered lawn mower will be the most efficient.

Err no.. The engines on lawn mowers use a governor to regulate speed and fuel consumption.

home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-repair-small-engines.htm

"Governor: A governor is a device that automatically opens the engine's throttle when more power is needed and closes it when the load is light."

Reply to
T. Keating

I had one of these for years and I liked it a lot with two exceptions. First of all it doesn't do well if the grass gets too high... you have to go out with a scythe and cut it down to the point where the reel mower will work. That's not a dealbreaker if you're actually good about mowing regularly.

But... the thing that made me finally move to a gas mower is that the spacing between the blades and the support bar is JUST the right size for a sweetgum ball to get caught and jam the thing up. if it were a little closer or a little farther away, it would be fine.

Ultimately I might have been better off getting rid of the sweetgum trees than the reel mower, but that's another story.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Goats are more effective, the problem is that when the grass runs out, goats keep eating. They ate my friend Karen's Toyota.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I had a battery powered mower for a while that I picked up for free. I had to replace a circuit breaker to get it working. On a full charge it would cut a 1/4 acre with juice to spare. It had some pretty good torque too.

Reply to
m6onz5a

n compared to a

PolicySpy writes:

This issue was only the efficiency of twin-cylinder engines versus single-cylinder engines.

T. Keat >  An electrically powered lawn mower will be the most efficient.

PolicySpy writes:

An electrical lawn mower has the problem of requiring a large diameter electric cord or requiring very heavy batteries. Also, the cost of the electrical mower is much higher while providing less performance.

T.Keat>

PolicySpy writes;

A mower cuts crass without varying engine speed. To vary the driving speed of the riding lawn mower requires changes in gearing. The driving speed of a working riding lawn mower is controlled with gearing instead of with engine speed.

T. Keat>

hrottle when more

PolicySpy writes:

Lawn mowers have throttles. When the thottle is set too high it just reaches choke mode and the air/fuel ratio is then too rich for the mower to run. Mowers cut grass at their maximum throttle setting and do not vary engine speed while cutting grass.

Reply to
PolicySpy

compared to a

I see you snipped my link..

Huh... 36 Wh... are not large batteries. Especially if a robot is doing the work.

throttle when more

no,.. you obviously haven't repaired any lawn mowers lately. . If they ran full out.. the engine would soon destruct.. hint.. They don't run full out..

Reply to
T. Keating

on't run full out..- Hide quoted text -

PolicySpy writes:

A lawn mower cuts grass at its maximum throttle setting. The throttle setting is available to the user of the lawn mower. Too much throttle setting just reaches choke mode. Any underlying system to even-out the engine at maximum throttle setting is not the issue and is a superficial point.

Reply to
PolicySpy

A lawn mower cuts grass with a constant engine speed setting. A riding lawn mower changes riding speed by changing gearing. The new hydrostatic transmissions change gearing more easily.

Reply to
PolicySpy

Yep. And I really like the sounds made by reel mower. You can hear the grass blades being sheared, and the ratcheting when you stop is nice too. Not doing taller grass is the killer.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I bought one new pretty early on, in '97 when I bought this house. Think it was about $220. Black & Decker, maybe 19". Mulcher. About 1/4 acre here too. Lasted about 7 years, then wouldn't hold a charge. Last couple years had to recharge to do everything. But it was nice, and like you said, had real good torque and did tall grass well. Quiet too. Heavier mower than a gas equivalent though.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Uhh... did you consider spending $20 for a new battery?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I was at the Home Depot store, I saw a Homelite electric weed trimmer that has a motor head that can be pivoted and locked in a 90 degrees right angle position. I was wondering if I build a frame with four wheels on it and mo unt one of those Homelite trimmers on it and use a junk yard windshield wip er motor to swing the trimmer left and right, if I can mow my yard in much less time than it takes with my 22'' walk behind lawn mower?

Reply to
JR

Most of the Amish use reel mowers, usually a small gang pulled by a pony/horse and a single for close work. The ones up the road use a neat trick. The two youngest girls usually mow the lawn but they are very petite. So they gang up on the poor mower. They made a pull harness and one girl pulls the mower while the other pushes and guides it. Looks funny seeing them out there. Sort of looks like one is trying to run the other one over!

I try to go up and help them when I can. The 50" deck on my CC is MUCH faster and the girls don't have to kill themselves. With the lack of rain both methods are parked.

Reply to
Steve W.

I was looking at one of the larger units the other day. Thinking that it might work if I mounted it to a boom so I could cut behind the huard rails up the road. Hill is just a bit steep for me to cut with the tractor.

Reply to
Steve W.

They were more like $100, maybe more Besides, the mower was pretty heavy, newer ones had gone way up in price, and Sears had a sale on a Honda engine Craftsman. Time to move on. Main issue was the weight of the mower We've got a tad more lawn and too much maneuvering around flower beds than was suitable for it. Otherwise it was sweet. If the Honda gives up, and the newer rechargeables are lighter, I would consider buying another.

Reply to
Vic Smith