mazda 92 brakes--notes

replaced the rotors/pads on my 91 929 yesterday. pretty much a breeze, and i have a new favorite tool--the impact wrench! I have been working on my own cars for 20 years, and never came across the need or heard of this tool.

just a note to anyone who tries tho remove the rear rotors--there two phillips head screws that bolt the rotor to the hub. after 171k miles and an hour of pounding, spraying, heating, and praying, these suckers were not budging, and i was risking stripping the screw head. my local napa showed me an impact wrench for $36 ( i had a coupon for 20% off), and it worked great in about one minute. this is the kind that you hold with one hand and hit with a hammer...i guess there is an air-compressed type if you have a compressor--i do not.

anyway, once i got those screws outta there the job was no problem. i almost gave up and took it in, but my shop would have charged about $100 to do the work for me. the $30 I spent on the tool was well worth it imo.

now i'm going all through my house and garage looking for things to use it on! (but it's prolly the only time i'll ever use it...)

now on to the fronts--unfortunately i will have to take the rotors in to have the bearings removed and pressed back into the new ones...

hope this helps.

Reply to
WhiteOut

sorry--this was a 1991 mazda 929

Reply to
WhiteOut

Amazing! Glad it all worked out for you. Did you get the A/C version or the battery powered version?

Reply to
« Paul »

neither--'manual' i guess you'd call it. hold firmly in place w/ one hand, and strike the back of it with a hammer. worked great.

Reply to
WhiteOut

Great! I have one of those. Its not used much but is a great tool to ha= ve when needed.

Reply to
« Paul »