Motor Oil Viscosity

Largely - yes. I think there might be a minor increase in oil temps with increasing ambient temps. The coolant can only cool the entire engine indirectly. My 2004 Subaru WRX manual recommends the use of 30, 40, 20W-40, or 20W-50 when towing a trailer or in "desert areas" or "high temperatures", even with a water cooled oil cooler standard. The standard US recommendation is for 5W-30,

10W-30, or 10W-40.

Of course there's the worry about how long it'll last if the cooling system fails.

Some people swear by it. Others swear at it. :)

Reply to
y_p_w

So they can sell more high-margin vehicles like the 14mpg Pilot? So they can be prepared for future increases in CAFE requirements?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Doubtful, as SUVs and trucks are covered by a seperate, less strict, CAFE, and Honda has no problems meeting it either.

Then why recommend or require thinner oil now? Why not wait until the new CAFE requirement takes effect?

Reply to
do_not_spam_me