U S vs European Motor Oil ~

just curious, what is the difference in motor oils that meet the U S specifications,

and those that are required to meet the European motor oil specifications?

from what I have read on the subject, it seems that the European standards are tougher than the U S.

Can European oils be used in U S automobiles?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Interesting ?, five. I don't think there would be any problem IF the SAE rating, [e.g. SF SG etc] or the weight blend were comparable. I'm sure someone with more understanding of the difference than I will chime in.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D what prompted the initial question is that in europe - according to what I have read

- the motor oils are capable of running 20,000 miles between changes, here in

the states we change oil, traditionally, at 3000 - 7500 miles.

there has been some talk of the "fuel" the europeans use as not being as hostile as

the fuel the us consumers use, dunno. however, the additive package being used in the european oils gives them additional mileage between changes, so I have read.

the point is; if there is motor oils being marketed in the u s that meets European

standards, why shouldn't the u s consumers use them - to get the

additional advantage - it has to offer? any comments on the subject matter?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron