Muncie M-21 transmission questions

Have a decent '62 Chevy BelAir with a 6-cylinder and 3-speed. Contemplating a small block chevy and 4-speed swap in the Spring. Someone else will be assisting but when looking for an M-21 4-speed, are there particular points to look for? Spline count on input or output shafts? Input/out shaft lenghts? Do these things vary? Engine will probably be a pre-'86, but conceivably may be a new crate engine.

Reply to
will_powerless

The M 20 and M 21 are the same spline count and are a course spline input shaft.All three are aluminum hosings. The M 22 is a fine spline input shaft. All three are the same on the outside. The easiest and fastest way to tell the difference between the three is, look it the input shaft. A M 20 will "not" have a circler groove around the input shaft, approx. mid sahaft and 1/8" wide. A M 21 "will" have "one groove" around the input shaft. A M 22 will have "two grooves" around the input shaft, and a fine spline input shaft. The M 22, (known as "A Rockcrusher"), has different gear ratio's. The M 22 is the best out of the Muncie family. I've had all three and have some left. Their nice transmission's, when all the brass sycronizers are good and their not put together to tight. They are not a very bullet proof or very miss a shift friendly. The Borg Warner T 10 is probably better, but they are bigger then the Muncie and don't give ya alot of room in the tunel, where as the Muncie is a nice compact, descent trans. The cast iron pigs where more bullet proof. And cheaper to buy/repair. Ifin your makin a "Cruiser", automatic/O.D. is the way to go. Ifin you gotta have a stick, go with a 5 speed.

Reply to
willy

I kind-of agree with the statements above, with the caveat that for a really hot motor you have to be careful what 5-speed you pick. I have a Studebaker which is a fairly torquey engine and I've been told that most

5-speeds are not strong enough to stand up behind a stump puller engine driven hard (and what's the point of having a 5-speed if you're not going to bang gears?) Supposedly a "world class" T5 is marginal but the new Tremecs are the way to go; unfortunately they are still pricey while I can find old T-10s for a couple hundred bucks, so guess what my car has in it... However, I only stuck with a T-10 because that was stock for Studebaker and therefore required less work to make it fit; by all reports a Muncie is at least as strong.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The T-45 (Tremec) used in v8 Mustangs to mid '01 has Torque cap. of 325 lbs-ft and the 3650 used from mid '01 on has a torque cap. of 360 lbs-ft. See web site for full line and torque cap.

Stan Weiss

I was actually thinking of the TKO500, apparently that is starting to become a popular swap into a Stude (well, as popular as *anything* for a Stude can be.) A standard 289 was rated at something like 300 ft-lbs in stock trim, so this is a real concern. Granted, that's gross not net, but still.

The gear spread looks awesome too, even the "close ratio" provides more gear spread 1-4 than a "wide ratio" T-10; I could probably go with a close ratio TKO and keep my 3.73:1 rear and get a deeper first gear and still have comfortable cruising. I wanna spend money...

nate

Reply to
N8N

My 2000 Mustang GT has the 4.6l and is rated at 302 lbs-ft. It has (stock T-45) 3.37 1.99 1.33 1.00 0.67 gearing and a 3.27 rear with the optional 17" wheels and 245-45-17 tire it is turning 2000 RPM at 70 MPH in 5th. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss