Rear End Passenger Side Tire Tweeked.....

My wife was involved in a rear end accident July 27th or there about. The trunk, bumper, and rear panels over the rear wheels where also affected. To say the least it was a pretty good rear end job. After four weeks of rear tail light problems following my wife back to the repair shop that warrantied there work, I noticed her rear tire was bowed out (tweeked). I disputed this with a mercury inspector and the shop owner and they were convinced that the tire was not tweeked as a result of this accident because they could not see any knicks or scratches on the control arms. Does anything need to rub up or hit the control arms in order for them to become damaged? My thought that impact alone and her car skidding from the impact could have done this. Just my two cents anyone with this type of expertise would greatly be appreciated. I meet with the adjusters supervisor on Wed. and I want to come with a loaded gun 8).

Reply to
willy4x4s

[...]

skidding shouldn't cause any damage to suspension parts, but a hit to the wheel or tire definitely would. If the bumper was pushed up enough that it could have knocked into the tire this definitely could have caused this, or if the car slid sideways into a curb that would have done it as well. Was the tire damaged in any way? if so I think you've got a good case to have it fixed. Certainly the "frame" (in quotes because I don't know what kind of vehicle this is) should have been checked for straightness, and a bent structure could also cause alignment issues.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If the tire impacts something it sure can 'tweak' it and the hit sure can 'tweak' the frame/unibody to make the tire look wrong. Even just a side slide into a curb can mess the wheel up.

It should be put on a proper alignment tool to be checked.

If the body or frame is that tweaked, it is garbage in my mind. They can straighten some on a machine, but the 'memory' or temper has gone out of the steel so the slightest bump can make it go bad again.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
willy4x4s

Or skidding *into* a curb, pothole, etc. But it would have to be a pretty hard wallop, and shoudld have left a pretty good mark on the tire.

Reply to
Steve

As a body shop estimator I have seen the knuckle or strut bend with a flush impact to the tire and not really leave any visible evidence, they need to look this over and see what's what!

Reply to
maxwedge

When I was young I was doing donuts on a deserted road in the snow and while moving only one or two mph slid sideways into the curb. The tire on that side got 'tweaked' big time. I had to replace the control arm. There were no marks on the rim or tire.

Mike

Mike Romain

You need a visit with the alignment machine to check it. No other evidence will likely convince the adjuster.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1161377633.330562.278230 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

im assuming 'bowed out' and 'tweeked' equal 'excessive toe out or in'.........no mention of vehicle make/model either so im assuming front wheel drive with independent suspension.........ive seen hundreds of control arm bending problems caused by the recovery drivers winching down the vehicle by attaching hold down chains to the control arms. stupid, but affordable mistake............

Reply to
KjunRaven