89 560 sel emissions failed !

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 89 560SEL that has failed the my air emissions. Before i pay for a new catalytic converter (What a SHOCK on the COST of a NEW CAT) is there anything i should take a look for on the benz to see if it has come loose or anything like that. I have the emisssions for last year and this last FAILED test below.

Many thanks for the thoughts.

2005 ASM2525 ======= HC ppm 38 CO% 0.14 NO ppm 59 RPM 1988 Dilution 14.7

CURB IDLE ========= HC ppm 27 CO% 0.00 NO ppm N/A RPM 842 Dilution 10.0 Catalytic converter Present Gas Cap Pressure PASS Fuel Filler Integrity PASS

=================== Now this YEARS TEST ===================

2006 ASM2525 ======= HC ppm 180 FAIL LIMIT = 50 CO% 3.21 FAIL LIMIT = 0.28 NO ppm 463 PASS LIMIT = 548 RPM 2022 Dilution 16.1 NO ppm N/A RPM 1425 Dilution 13.3

CURB IDLE ========= HC ppm 57 PASS LIMIT = 200 CO% 0.13 PASS LIMIT = 1.00 NO ppm N/A RPM 1425 Dilution 13.3 Catalytic Converter N/A Gas Cap Pressure PASS Fuel Filler Integrity N/A

There has ONLY been 15,000 Miles put on the Mercedes since last year. Any thoughts Hints would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

ve3myz

Reply to
Chas.O.Hall

Look again at your '06 report. Check the figures - the curb idle rpm is the same as the high rpm test. What's the real curb idle rpm?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Curb Idle Shows 1425 in the list/test High RPM test Shows 2022 in the list/test

That is a HIGH Curb Idle speed. The Motor says 845 rpm is normal

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Chas.O.Hall

Does the motor reach its 80 degrees C. operating temperature??????

That the motor (i) has a very high idle and (ii) is a worst polluter at high rpms suggests the engine controls are receiving incorrect temperature data - the computer "thinks" the motor is stone cold and enriches the air / fuel ratio regardless of its actual temperature.

Or the cold start system is stuck open.

Motor now gets about 5 miles per gallon. Yikes!

Other possibilities:

How old is the O2 sensor?

Ignition timing "off".

Timing chain jumped a tooth or two taking the valves out of sync with the crankshaft. If the motor has done > 120K miles the timing chain ought to be replaced to avoid breakage and the dire consequences thereof.

The "cats" may need to be replaced after suffering from this fuel load. First fix the underlying cause and see if the car passes the test. Cats are available from second sources do some shopping if they need to be replaced.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the reply. (: Motor does not reach 80c Only when it's really hot/like in the summer Goes up to just short of 80 then back down below. Maybe 60c What's the COLD START system incorperate ? I have to push the gas pedal half way down for the thing to actually start moving. Never had to before Motor has 210,000 miles and i do not think the timing chains have been done ): Has had a rough idle for about 1 year. worse in the canadain cold winter like it's getting now. Had trouble with arcing at the ignition unit but not now. Lot's of silicon spray. Put new plugs 3 months ago same as the ones that came out and a new rotor and cap last year. O2 sensor is probably 89 original. Guess... Just got the car this time last year.

thanks aga> Does the motor reach its 80 degrees C. operating temperature?????? >

Reply to
Chas.O.Hall

Check the engine wiring harness, it is notorious for being "biodegradable" and causing temps to be wrong and send wrong signals to the ecu and then be put into "limp" mode which causes you to lose about

50% of power it will also run real rough like you explain.
Reply to
macdrone

Yikes!

It needs a new thermostat. Start there.

Test each ignition wire with an ohm meter, there's a bad one.

Your decision is to get serious and spend some $$ to fix it or sell it.

If the chain breaks the car is instant junk.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the info. As it stands right now... I tried to start the thing and it just cranks but does not even try to fire ): This was my Dad's car. He bought it when he found out he had Cancer. A close friend of his who was a master mechanic with mercedes in germany (Erich) had told him that the 560 SEL was a very good car. He really liked the car. My dad has since passed on and this car was to go to me as i have the background in fixing cars and motorbikes. Repairing the Mercedes is something my Dad would have like me to do, he bought all the real merecedes service manuals and the service cd's. This will not happen now as the car looks like it is now being sold by my sister and mother. I have no say in it.

thank you all for your knowledge.

James

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Chas.O.Hall

Buy it and fix it. It's only worth about $2K, lees if it's dead. Owe them the money for a while - it has meaning to you, but not to them

- that's why they're selling it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

They won't let me ! Already offered to buy it they say no. They never liked the car. Only my dad and I saw the ART of Mercedes.

Many thanks for the help with the Mercedes.

Jim

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Chas.O.Hall

I would have started by replacing the thermostat... and then check the spark plugs for any rich running condition.

I would not suspect the cat converter at this time.

Reply to
Tiger