New Rack and Pinion?

My car's steering has a lot of play in the wheel. It's a 2000 Grand Am 3.4 .

I noticed w/ the engine running and the car stopped moving the streering wheel back and forth makes a clunk each time the direction is changed. The clunk is comming from right down on the firewall, about where the floor meets the heating ducts. This is right where the Rack attaches to the frame.

I had this EXACT problem with my 88 Beretta and I found that the rubber grommets on the part of the inner tie-rods that attached to posts on the outside of the center of the rack were worn out. I was able to replace these -(although it would have been easier to buy a new inner tie with the grommets already in there)- and the problem went away.

Problem is that the rack on the Grand AM is different. The inner tie's go into some bellows on each side of the rack and it appears that I'd have to RPL the entire rack. I don't see any other solution unless there is some way that they attach or it is a different problem with the rack?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

MAB

Reply to
Maab

Don't know about 2000 Grand Am, but my wife's Mazda 92 MX6 (same as Ford Probe) has a rack and pinion that sounds similar to yours. There are rod ends but you have to take the rubber boot off to get to them. On her car, if she turned the wheel to generate the clunk and I held the rod (squeezing the rubber boot to feel the steel rod inside), I could feel it pop. Hers had 160K miles on it though.

good luck, bb

Maab wrote:

Reply to
bobby

So the question is can they be replaced short of replacing the entire rack?

Every picture I've been able to come up with does not show what's under those rubber bellows. Maybe it's similar to what my old car had but just not center mounted?

Thanks for the help

Mab

Reply to
Maab