NHTSA Survey: Tire Pressures

On Page 3, Exh. 4:

People looking in WRONG PLACE for recommended cold PSI!

How difficult is this, folks? It's right on the B-pillar next to your butt in the driver seat!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

HulOOooh?!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

It's too bad they didn't ask the most critical question that would really tell if there was a problem.... They needed to ask "What pressure do you use" besides asking "where do you get the pressure you use. If those people who are not using the placard still put in at least 28 psi for cars and 32 for trucks there is unlikely to be much of a problem with what they are doing. A few people with trucks with E rated tires would still be under inflating but anyone using 28 to 35 psi is very unlikely to have a problem caused by the "wrong" tire pressure.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

- show quoted text - It's too bad they didn't ask the most critical question that would really tell if there was a problem.... They needed to ask "What pressure do you use" besides asking "where do you get the pressure you use. If those people who are not using the placard still put in at least 28 psi for cars and 32 for trucks there is unlikely to be much of a problem with what they are doing. A few people with trucks with E rated tires would still be under inflating but anyone using 28 to 35 psi is very unlikely to have a problem caused by the "wrong" tire pressure. "

My point in bringing this up is to consider the 'logic' by how drivers determine tire pressure for their vehicles:

"Correct tire PSI? Must be on the TIRE".

Which *might* apply if their vehicle is operated at maximum capacity(materials/tools/passengers) at least 3/4 of the time.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There was a discussion in one of these groups within the past year of the "best" tire pressure and it seems that the max shown on the sidewall is usually the best regardless of what the manufacturer happens to recommend. Someone even found some research on track speeds that showed highly inflated tires handled better then "manufacturer recommenced" pressure did.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

- show quoted text - There was a discussion in one of these groups within the past year of the "best" tire pressure and it seems that the max shown on the sidewall is usually the best regardless of what the manufacturer happens to recommend. Someone even found some research on track speeds that showed highly inflated tires handled better then "manufacturer recommenced" pressure did. "

A thousand wrongs don't make it right. But that doesn't make me a stickler for vehicle placard pressures. I typically add 2lbs PSI to the vehicle pressures listed on the placard, but NEVER the max pressure on the tire. It's like riding on four rocks or on basketballs.

I also don't like daylight-saving time(which thankfully ends in two weeks), keep the 'bass' and 'treble' controls or equalizers centered on my stereos, and actually adjust my TV's picture settings for an accurate image.

Life ain't easy in the minority!

Reply to
thekmanrocks