Nova not firing after engine gets warm

Car cranks and runs perfect when the engine is cold. If you shut the engine off and try to immediately crank it, no problem cranks and runs fine BUT, if you let it sit for 15 minutes or so after shutting the engine off the engine will not fire at all until completely cold again. I have checked or replaced the following:

1.VSV 2.IG Coil
  1. Vacuum switch that runs between VSV and Coil
  2. Outer Vent Control Valve
  3. EGR
  4. TVSV
  5. Cold Mixture Heater System
  6. Positive crankcase Vent Sys
9.Thermostatic Air Cleaner Sys
  1. Hot Idle Compensation Sys
  2. Auto Choke
  3. Auxiliary Acceleration Pump
  4. Catalytic Converter
  5. spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, oxygen sensor, VSV are all new

The engine is 4A-LC (SOHC) with feedback carburation system. Vin code 4 I would be greatful for any help or ideas. Oh, I had also flushed the carburator and put a new fuel filter and air filter on fisrt. Initially the car was putting like it was not getting enough fuel now that is not a problem.

Reply to
88Novoyta

Have you checked the selonoid in the feedback carb? I have a feedback carb on my Chevy and the viton tip broke off the mixture selonoid. This was a common problem on those chevys and the aftermarket produced a selonoid that didn't have the same problem.

In my case the broken off tip wedged further down in the selonoid creating a permanently lean mixture.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks Ted for your response. I rebuilt the carburator last summer so I don't think that's problem. Does anyone think it may be the ignition igniter? Thanks again, Richie

Reply to
88Novoyta

do you have spark at the plugs after this period? If not, I'd be going in that direction.

Reply to
ed

Gotta capacitor in there anywhere?? I've seen them short out under heat if they have alot of age. Just a thought, if your sure that lack of spark is your problem. Did you determine what exactly is lacking when it won't start?? (spark, fuel)

Reply to
pater

Thanks to all who replied it was the igniter. Runs good as new. Now on to converting the A/C over so I can beat this Georgia heat!

Reply to
88Novoyta