Older GTP - How much low end power to expect?

I have a 95 Grand Prix GTP, but I have only owned it for about a year and I'm not sure if it's performing as well as it should. I've done regular oil changes, as well as had the fuel and air filters replaced, changed the spark plugs, had the catalytic converter changed, and had the mufflers replaced with OEM replacements. My question is, how much power should one expect from this car? It's an automatic with a DOHC

3.4 rated for 210 HP and 215 ft-lbs of torque. However, I have a heck of a time even breaking the tires loose when putting it to the floor from standstill unless I have the wheel cranked and it's pulling to a different direction. Is this about what I should expect or should it technically have the ability to peel out quite easily? I know this is a poor method for estimating power and it's not something I regularily try to do, but I haven't really tested 0-60 or 1/4 mile times and it seems like breaking the tires loose is one of the only things I can base power on right now (not sure where the closest drag strip is). And I know some people will want to tell me to get a 1/4 mile time and get back to them, but I'd really appreciate some help with what I just gave (without flames). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

407

Reply to
Aaron407

Since when does tire spin especially in a fwd car equate to horsepower or

Reply to
Shep

Is there anywhere I can find a visual representation of the torque curve?

Reply to
Aaron407

See answer in your next sentence

Spinning the tires has nothing to do with peak power of the engine. Peak power is reached somewhere high in the RPM range. If you want to spin the tires get a good old fashioned big cubic inch V8 engine that develops gobs of torque down low in the RPM band.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.