P0402 Low Fuel in Tank

My 96 Windstar w/108K throws a P0402 code whenever I get very low on fuel - could this be related to a small leak in the fuel filler cap? It only happens with low fuel levels, not when there is a reasonable amount of fuel in the tank.

I've had a auto parts guy tell me it has to do with the EVAP system and pulling too many fumes from the canister, but I would have thought that would set a different code.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

bg

Reply to
BG

P0402 is EGR excessive flow and none of my service manuals have such a code. I don't have a Ford manual. Take the auto part guys advice. Check all the hoses for the evap system for leaks.

Reply to
BillW

Wonder if the OP meant P0462? I believe that's the one for Fuel Level Low Input(?).

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

No, it was actually a P0402. Happens when fuel is low, and occasionally shortly after refueling the vehicle. That's why I'm leaning toward a bad gas cap. I'm confused by the P0402 code though, I'll just replace the cap and see what happens.

Some research points toward a bad DPFE, but I would think that would be independent of fuel level/refueling. I'd think it would set periodically regardless of fuel state - it seems that the error code is set whenever one of the two events occurs (low fuel or refueling.)

Reply to
BG

The DPFE, or PFE as most call it . Senses the flow after the EGR opens. I also don't see what the fuel level in tank could have to do with EGR pressure or opening. Check the hoses on it. It is a rectangular small box with two gray approx 3/8 diam. hoses on it. The Explorer v-6's are bad for buning a hole thru the bottom hose that is closer to exhaust manifold. make sure both hoses are air tight.

Reply to
Uncle Dodo