Photoblocker paint vs. license plate flipper....

Quite a few comments on photoblockers call them junk.... Mythbusters is cited as busting them. Some even say the license plate covers don't work.

If this is true, it would appear that the only solution is license plate flippers. One example:

video at bottom. Many others, it seems. Anyone use these? Any makes better than others? Other idears? Yeah, I know, don't go through reds..... even when it's 3 a.m., visibility is 5 city blocks in any direction, and there should have been stop signs instead of a 90 sec red light, or when the yellow is set deliberately fast.... etc etc etc.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Here's a different approach that may work:

Roger Blake

All of which are incredibly illegal. If caught with them, the fine will likely be more than the cost of the device.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Evan Platt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In at least some jurisdictions, there is no fixed definition of "obstruction". It's left up to individual patrolmen to decide what's "obstructed" and what's not, so putting /anything/ in front of the plate

--even a clear cover--is asking for trouble.

The Invisa-Loover is a cute idea, but in my area it would block the view of your plate from automated toll-road cameras, which are overhead. That would surely make it an "obstruction" to a cop.

A radio station in my area once owned a '73 Chrysler Newport with a vertical version of louvers over the front plate. From the sidewalk you saw the radio station's logo. From oncoming traffic, or from straight-on, you saw the license plate. Apparently a cop decided it constituted obstruction anyway, and ticketed the radio station. The louvers were removed right after that.

Reply to
Tegger

That depends entirely on the specific jurisdiction and laws involved, and whatever legal counter-arguments that can be made. Certainly there are many cars on the road that have license-plate covers of once sort or another.

Howver, I personally believe the best approach is to find ways to disable or destroy the spy cameras.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Think about how one might get caught. Run a stop light get involved in an accident and the license plate blocker device gets stuck in the blocked position. Some prosecutor might view that as evidence of criminal intent.

-jim

Reply to
jim

The laws here in Texas specifically deal with any obstruction of the license plate, and some officers have interpreted that to mean that any license plate holder obscures the plate to some degree or another.

It is not often enforced, but it HAS been enforced in the past.. Depends, most likely, on how shart the officer is to see such an infraction and how bad his day is going.

I remember one instance where a guy had a custom car and he painted his license plate to match...bingo...ticketed. Not legal although no pertinent data is obscured.

Deliberate infraction like louvers, filters, reflectors and the like would not be treated kindly at all.

Reply to
hls