Re: Water Cracking Discovery Alt Energy Future Bright

Water Cracking (producing free, sort of free) fuel on the go. Like I have said before about those grand schemes/ideas, I will believe it when I see it.Same for those UFOs too, and I have never seen a UFO yet in my 69 years on this Earth. cuhulin ..................................................... Take us to your leader, after all, we have a right, we are your nearest satellite. [All Your Base Are Belong To Us!] .....................................................

Reply to
cuhulin

Our troglodytic forefathers made it walking. We are too weak for that, I guess.

Reply to
hls

In message , AMuzi writes

If you've already got the electricity, why convert it to a very inefficient burning of electrolysis (20% top) compared to a good electric motor (up to 98%)?

Reply to
Clive

Electrolysis is only 20% efficient? Hmmmmmmmm...... Recall that you are ALSO getting pure O2 out of the deal, as well. If both are compressed, basically you have rocket-fueled cars.....

Also, 98% efficient electric motors are boucou expensive.

Reply to
Existential Angst

In message , Existential Angst writes

Sorry I didn't make myself very clear. The act of electrolysis is not in question, it's the burning of hydrogen that is very poor. You could usefully use the oxygen, but not in the same vehicle, the mix would be explosive instead of a controlled burn leading to extensive engine damage. Most of the energy released when using hydrocarbon fuels is from converting Carbon to CO2. The question of motor efficiencies is down to the gap between the stator and the rotor and the motor drive electronics. An efficient motor could more than pay for itself with better mileage.

Reply to
Clive

Sorry Clive..Your chemistry is way way off. You get the most energy from hydrogen and oxygen. Carbon and oxygen is less, and the mol weight of carbon is not advantageous. Hydrocarbons plus oxygen are better than carbon to oxygen because of the hydrogen present. Check it in your pchem book.

I did not hear Nocera tell how high efficiency figures he got with his catalyst. You still wont beat stoichiometric but if it is greatly enhanced, then maybe it is worth the effort.

Coming from MIT, I hope there is some good science here.

Reply to
hls

Bloom Energy fuel cells,Article at,

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

All of which is a nice newsclip review of the periodic table, but has nothing to do with your "wondering" if removing hydrogen from the air would be cheap, or productive. Did you calculate the relative molar concentrations of H or H2 in water vs air? I'm sure it is at least a trillion to one.

Reply to
Existential Angst