Q. Disassembly of '86 Mazda 626 front hub assy.?

I am trying to figure out how to disassemble the front hub assembly of an '86 Mazda 626. This is necessary to service or replace the brake rotor. The various manuals are silent on this. They show an exploded view, and note that "assembly is the reverse of disassembly." (Thanks a lot, big guy.)

Does the assembly have to be disassembled and pressed back together at a machine shop? I'm trying to figure out how to take it apart and can't get the first clue.

Does no way exist to take it apart with common hand tools? It doesn't appear to be possible.

Thanks,

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH

You need to look at section 9 under front hub and knuckle in the real 1986 mazda shop manual.

Well by the book this is the most complex rotor replacement I've ever looked at. Well what feels like a small warp in the rotor on my '86 626 isn't getting addressed.... too much trouble.

It's hard to do it justice in a post, but this is basically how it goes, dissconnect tie rod end, remove the center nut, remove caliper assembly, disconnect the knuckle (think spindle for a RWD car) from the strut and lower ball joint, uncouple the assembly from the drive shaft, pull the whole unit from the car, use wheel hub puller to disconnect wheel hub and rotor assembly, diassemble disc plate (rotor) from the hub making alignment marks before hand. So yes all hand tools, but the puller isn't a common one.

By the looks of the drawing it's some mazda special tool. I've seen similiar pullers that will probably work. It's two plates that mount to the knuckle with bolts and between them is a 'base' that the puller threads through with a pushing head on it.

Anyway the meat of it is on page 9:22

Reply to
Brent P