99 Grand Am, couple of problems

Got a used 99 grand am from a dealership 7 days ago. And I got a short list of problems that maybe some of you know how to address... so here we go.

1.) constant overheating problem: I thought at first the problem was the thermostat. Got it replaced by the dealership. 2 days go by and no problems after the install. yesterday heading out for a on site job at 7:00 in the morning, the thermostat waits till it?s gets to around the mark between 90 and 130 degrees to open up... it did cool the engine down and so there was no problem the entire drive down. worked from 8 to 5 at the site and when i got ready to go the "low coolant" light came on.. we had just topped the coolant off the day of the thermostat install.. now i figure we got a leak cause i have no idea where the coolant is going can never find any drips... anyways, So once i?m heading out of town i get the overheating warning and pull off the road to stop and let car cool off. Low coolant light all the way home till today when we filled the resevoir again, not problems yet.

  1. squeeling: won?t do it at a higher speed, but when i slow down make a turn or let off on the brake, she squeels. worst time was tonight when the car kept going for at least 100 yards, if i sped up it would go away, could be brakes... hub assembly.... CV joints.

  2. Brand new breaks, might have warped disks. yeah a day after the new install i noticed a slight pulsing with the car when lightly applying the brakes at highway speeds.. unless it?s something else.. it?s now gotten worse.

  1. signal clicking inside car keeps going after the signal is off: I?m guessing it?s a short but still not 100% sure. sometimes it does it once or twice after the signal goes off and then at random times turns on.. even though the signal is off. it can get worse, sometimes it goes nuts, clicks really fast and doesn?t stop. more annoying than an actual problem i guess.

So this is my very first car ever, 7 days old to me... i should also mention 146 thousand KMs on it so that might narrow things down. it?s a 99 grand am v6 3.4 litre 2 door. other than thoes problems i love the car. just hope the problems can be solved and repaired in the future. And aren?t HUGE expensive problems.

thanks in advance for any of your help

Reply to
Mattcubus
1) Sounds like there is air trapped in the cooling system. Take it back to the dealer and have them do a better job. 2) My 2001 GA just started doing the squealing thing after having rusted rotors due to the salt etc. It happens when applying the brakes, or turning left. Not sure if the caliper is sticking and the pads have glazed up. Car only has 33,000 miles, so tend not to think it a worn out CV joint or hub bearing. But have not resolved it yet. 3) Brake pulsation seems to be a common complaint in these cars. If your brakes are new, weren't the rotors changed as well? If so, should be smooth until they warp also. 4) The flasher units are being replaced under a recall for bad solder joints causing malfunctioning. Pontiac dealer should replace it free of charge.

Cheers, Howard

Mattcubus wrote:

thermostat

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Weird

"delano_h" wrote: > 1) Sounds like there is air trapped in the cooling system. > Take it back > to the dealer and have them do a better job. > 2) My 2001 GA just started doing the squealing thing after > having > rusted rotors due to the salt etc. It happens when applying > the brakes, > or turning left. Not sure if the caliper is sticking and the > pads have > glazed up. Car only has 33,000 miles, so tend not to think it > a worn > out CV joint or hub bearing. But have not resolved it yet. > 3) Brake pulsation seems to be a common complaint in these > cars. If > your brakes are new, weren't the rotors changed as well? If > so, should > be smooth until they warp also. > 4) The flasher units are being replaced under a recall for bad > solder > joints causing malfunctioning. Pontiac dealer should replace > it free of > charge. > > Cheers, > Howard > > Mattcubus wrote: > > Got a used 99 grand am from a dealership 7 days ago. And I > got a > short > > list of problems that maybe some of you know how to > address... so > here > > we go. > >

The entire two front brake assemblys were replaced. sorry i need to be more specific with that. as far as i know they replaced the roters and pads.

Reply to
Mattcubus

Your engine could be shot, or not. There is tons of info on bad intake gaskets on this engine on the web. Read up on it.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

"user" wrote: > Mattcubus wrote: > > > > "delano_h" wrote: >  > > 1) Sounds like there is air trapped in the cooling > system. >  > > Take it back >  > > to the dealer and have them do a better job. >  > > 2) My 2001 GA just started doing the squealing > thing after >  > > having >  > > rusted rotors due to the salt etc. It happens when > applying >  > > the brakes, >  > > or turning left. Not sure if the caliper is > sticking and the >  > > pads have >  > > glazed up. Car only has 33,000 miles, so tend not > to think it >  > > a worn >  > > out CV joint or hub bearing. But have not resolved > it yet. >  > > 3) Brake pulsation seems to be a common complaint > in these >  > > cars. If >  > > your brakes are new, weren't the rotors changed as > well? If >  > > so, should >  > > be smooth until they warp also. >  > > 4) The flasher units are being replaced under a > recall for bad >  > > solder >  > > joints causing malfunctioning. Pontiac dealer > should replace >  > > it free of >  > > charge. >  > >

Cylinder head went on the engine apprently. But because the dealership said they wanted to resolves the problem just means that the repairs don?t come out of my pocket, i?ll make another update in the next couple days when i know what the exact problem(s) is.

Reply to
Mattcubus