Question about 2000 Grand Am radiator replacement

Auto: 2000 Grand Am 3.4L V6

I may have a bad radiator and I was curious as to whether the radiator can be replaced separate from the A/C condenser. One source I looked at seems to infer it can and another says they're one unit. If the latter is true, that's really stupid that you've got to drain your a/c coolant just to replace a radiator.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

PB

Reply to
Sweetscience3

I checked

and they dont seem to reference it.
shows a separate radiator and condensor.

First is about $250 and the latter is about $150, roughly. This is not proof positive, but may be indicative that you can change them separately.

Reply to
hls

Advance auto shows a separate radiator as well, but my haynes manual says that it's one unit. Two things about this are that the pictures on Advance/A'zone/Rock Auto are not always accureate. Neither is Haynes, and my manual references

3 separate cars >

e.com shows a separate radiator and condensor.

Reply to
Sweetscience3
3 separate cars including the Malibu which is not the same platform. Studying it carefully from outside it looks almost inseparable.

Call a radiator shop and ask them. They should work on enough of these to know what to tell you. Some of the manuals and catalog information are very lacking.

Reply to
hls

====

This is a very good idea. Could also be that the two are closely coupled and Haynes though it easier to remove both. Won't be the first time something like this has been in a manual.

Reply to
Sweetscience3

Sweetscience3 wrote in news:3c534369-a52b-46b3- snipped-for-privacy@p36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

the cond. bolts to the front of the radi. but each is purchased seperatly.....the radi/cond do remove and install as a unit.......

Reply to
bill