radiator questions

Since my vehicle is immobile (problem with the clutch hydraulic system.. waiting for $$$), I decided to flush my radiator, since it hasn't been done in a LONG time (just now learning how to work on cars, unfortunately). The stuff that came out of the radiator looked like pure rust. After I drained the flush chemical, I filled it up with straight water (with the drain open) and started it. I kept the radiator full. A little after the thermostat opened up, murky liquid started gushing out the top of the radiator. After a minute it started getting foamy.

a) is the gushing normal?

b) i know I will need a new radiator, as this one is totally rusted out, but I am planning on getting a new engine soon. should I replace it now or wait until I install the new engine?

Thanks for any help, and sorry about such a long post.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Walker

You usually replace a radiator when it is so corroded that it leaks and really can't be properly rescued by a trip to the radiator shop. And, those boys can fix a lot of things.

Just the presence of rust doesn't mean that the radiator is shot.

It does mean that the cooling system needs some attention, which may mean

-radiator repair or replacement (varies $50-300 maybe),

-flushing the engine block to get the rust out (free, with your garden hose),

-maybe changing hoses for preventive maintenance (varies, maybe $10-15 per hose),

-maybe a new radiator cap, (ditto PM, a couple of bucks)

-possibly a new thermostat (PM, a couple of bucks)

Then a refill with quality coolant (antifreeze) and water.

Reply to
Larry Smith

I've probably run water through the block maybe 5 or 6 times already and it is still rust colored. It is lighter of course, but will it eventually clear up or should I just go ahead and fill it back up with coolant (for now anyways, until I can get it fixed or replaced)?

Thanks aga> You usually replace a radiator when it is so corroded that it leaks and

Reply to
Aaron Walker

Aaron,

It should eventually clear up. I would keep running water through it until it runs clear. One way to do this is to remove the thermostat. That will circulate the water through much faster.

(You may need a new thermostat gasket after you do this, so make sure you pick one up first. Also, don't run regularly without a thermostat as your engine may run too cool.)

I wouldn't worry about replacing the rad and all that unless you are overheating. If, after you've flushed the thing completely and put the proper ration of proper coolant and water in there, it runs at the correct temperature then I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave